Nigeria - Apply for a Refugee Visa
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Applicant files a refugee / asylee relative petition along with documents verifying relationship for instance marriage certificates and birth certificates;
- Documents are viewed by the authorized office to confirm relationships and eligibility;
- After viewing documents are either approved or rejected;
- If approved, the application is then forwarded to the immigration office or appropriate embassy.
- Beneficiaries are interviewed to verify identity.
- Identification cards
- Marriage certificates
- Birth certificates
Office Locations & Contacts
- MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
Maputo St., Wuse, Zone 3 (Opposite Nigeria
Custom Services), P.M.B. 130, Garki, Abuja
Tel: 09-5230185; 5230186; 5230189
- FEDERAL MINISTRY OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS
Block 'F' Old Secretariat, Area I, Garki, Abuja
P.M.B. 0016, Garki Post Office
Tel: 09-2341602, 2341525, 2341935, 2341936
- NATIONAL COMMISSION FOR REFUGEES
Federal Secretariat, 1st Floor
Annex 1, Shehu Shagari Way,
Tel: 09-5233536; 5235901
- People resettled in Nigeria as refugees or who have been granted asylum can apply for their spouse or minors and it should be within two (2) years.
- Those adjusted to permanent resident after previously having had the status of refugee or asylum
for free of charge
It is usually one (1) year then renewed
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The process could take about a month or more.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Beneficiaries must meet the normal standards for refugees regarding excludability.
- Applicant must have received his / her status through adjudication not derivative basis.
- Should be filled within two years.
- Beneficiaries are spouse, children under 18 and even if not married.
- Asylum seekers must prove that they have a well-founded fear of future persecution for instance based on race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, and/or political opinion.;
- The persecution must either be carried out by the government or a group the government cannot control.
- A person who is granted political asylum may remain in the Nigeria indefinitely and may apply for permanent residence after one year;
- Dependants above eighteen (18) years apply independently;
- Conform to all laws and regulations of the country;
- Conform to all measures taken for the maintenance of public order;
- Should not engage in activities which may endanger state security, harm public interest or disrupt public order;
- Should not engage in any political activities;
- Should not undertake any activities against another country;
- If engaged in gainful employment, one is obliged to pay taxes accordingly.
- Detailed information of applicant;
- Contact address
- Date of birth of applicant
- Relationship details with beneficiary
- Details of beneficiary
- Age of beneficiary
Need for the Document
The Refugee Visa is issued to persons fleeing the dangers of persecution, a war or a natural disaster.
Information which might help
Refugee does not include anyone who ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in the persecution of any person on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. For the legal definition of refugee,
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.