Nigeria - Apply for Expatriate Quota Approval Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
The Immigration Act provides that no person other than a citizen of Nigeria shall accept employment (not being employment with the Federal or State government) without the consent in writing of the Director of Immigration; or either alone or in partnership with any other person, practice a profession or establish or take over any trade or business or register or take over a limited liability company without the consent in writing of the Minister.
- Procedure for applying for a Expatriate Quota System.
- The first step is to writer an application letter to the Minister of labour in Nigeria through the Director general of Migration.
- The second step is to attach the necessary documents together with the application letter. Wait for a week to process your papers make sure that the For Business permit, the Authorized share capital must not be less than N10 million in respect of each Company.
- Attach a Board member resolution this should indicate names of Directors present at the meeting and must be fully signed by the Chairman and Company Secretary.
- In case where a Company has difficulty in filling or owing to exigency of Operations, it is at liberty to apply for the re-designation of the affected position and this will be considered, purely on its own merit.
- The company secretary then submits the application letter with the attached documents,
- The person then pays the required fees.
- The immigration officer then schedules for inspection of the company.
- Upon satisfaction the immigration officer then recommends to the minister to issues an Expatriate Quota Certificate permit
- Completed Immigration Form T/1
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Minimum Share Capital Requirement - N10million
- Memorandum and Article of Association
- Joint Ventures and Partnership Agreements( where necessary)
- Company's current Tax Clearance Certificate
- Evidence of imported machinery such as Form M, Proforma invoice, Shipping documents and Clean Certificate of Inspection issued by Government appointed Pre-shipping Inspection Agent.
- License or Permit or Certificate from relevant Government Agencies for the operation or execution of project for companies that are engaging in oil services, health care services, fishing, mining, constructions etc.
- Evidence of work at hand, its duration and value attached to the contract(s) if the company is engaged in building, civil engineer4ing, construction etc. (originals are to be presented for sighting)
- Proposed annual salaries to be paid to the expatriates to be recruited. Names, designations, job descriptions and qualifications must also be indicated.
- General Requirements for Renewal of Expatriate Quota
- Completed Immigration Form T/2
- Corporate Tax Clearance Certificate (original to be presented for sighting)
- Current Tax Clearance Certificate of the expatriates (originals are to be presented for sighting)
- Expatriate Quota Returns for the three months preceding the date of approval
- Detailed Training programmer for Nigerians
- List of Nigerians understudying expatriate on prescribed format showing date employed, qualifications etc.
- List of Nigerian Senior/Management staff showing names, designations, qualifications, salaries per annum,
- Certified Current Audited Accounts
- Annual Income Tax clearance Certificate of the Expatriate staff (original to be presented for sighting)
- General Requirements for Additional Expatriate Quota
- Same document as for renewal of expatriate quota plus:
- Evidence of acquired machinery or expansion if the company is engaged in manufacturing in the form of Clean Certificate of Inspection (CCI) issued by Government appointed Pre-shipping inspection Agents.
- Evidence of new contract for companies engaging in construction/engineering and oil (original to be presented for sighting)
- Evidence of acquired farm/factory where the company is engaged in agro-allied business (original to be presented for sighting)
Office Locations & Contacts
- Nigerian Immigration Service Headquarters,
Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport Road ,
- FEDERAL MINISTRY OF LABOUR AND PRODUCTIVITY
2nd Floor (257-237), Block 4A, New Federal
Secretariat Complex, Shehu Shagari Way
Central Area, Abuja
- MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
Maputo St., Wuse, Zone 3 (Opposite Nigeria
Custom Services), P.M.B. 130, Garki, Abuja
Tel: 09-5230185; 5230186; 5230189
- FEDERAL MINISTRY OF INDUSTRIES
P.M.B. 85, Garki Post Office
Old Federal Secretariat, Area 1, Garki
Block 'C', Abuja
Tel: 09-2341387; 2341721; 2341690
- Nigerian Diplomatic Missions abroad.
A list of these and their contact addresses can be obtained from http://www.fsc-nigeria.org/dir_nigmissions.html, http://nigeria.embassyhomepage.com/nigeria_visa_application_form_nigeria_visa_service_nigeria_hotels_abuja_flights_nigeria_travel_insurance_nigerian_embassy_uk.htm, http://www.onlinenigeria.com/embassy.asp and http://redesign.nigeriaunmission.org/directory-of-nigerian-foreign-missions/
Website for diplomatic mission Nigeria: http://www.immigration.gov.ng/index.php?id=33
All Expatriates resident or working in Nigeria.
- FEES PAYABLE FOR EXPATRIATE QUOTA CERTIFICATE
From time to time, fees payable for services rendered are subject to review.
The currently reviewed fees are as follows: S/N DESCRIPTION COST (N)
- Processing fees: 25,000
- Grant of Establishment Quota(Per Slot): 10,000
- Renewal of Quota Position (Per Slot): 5,000
- Additional quota (Per Slot): 10,000
- Stay of Action: 5,000
- Grant of Business permit: 50,000
- Amendment of Business permit: 25000
- Regarding of quota (per slot): 10,000
- Appeal Processing fee: 10,000
- Restoration of Lapsed quota: 55,000
- upgrading of quota to P.V.R (Per Slot): $10,000
- Re-designation of P.U.R slot (GM to MD or MD to GM etc): $10,000
- Detagging / Extension of quota(Per Slot): 10,000
- Revalidation of Lapsed quota(Per Slot): 10,000
- Penalty for late submission of Renewal of private license: 150,000
Valid for a period of two years
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
processing take 1-3 months
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Every enterprise, desirous of obtaining Business Permit and Expatriate Quota, is to submit an application to that effect to the Federal Ministry of Internal Affairs on Form T/1 designed for that purpose Companies are, however, to note that emphasis would be placed on employment of Nigerians to understudy the foreign experts for the purpose of training them, to enable the understudies acquire relevant skills for the eventual take-over of the expatriate quota positions.
- Renewal of quotas granted will not be automatic but considered on merit based on submission of the required documents, as specified in paragraph 3 (C) of this Handbook.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
The Expatriate Quota is the official permit given to business organizations operating in Nigeria to employ non-Nigerians into specifically approved job designations. It also specifies the duration of such employment as permitted.
Information which might help
The Company must give the reason and proof for the reactivation and revitalization i.e. if there had been previously depressed economy, increased demand for the Company's product and acquisition of Inspection (CCI) issued by Government appointed Pre-shipment inspection Agents.
There is no appeal process against an immigration decision for foreigners wishing to come into Nigeria to invest because once an application is made to the relevant Diplomatic mission together with the requirements, it is granted as a matter of course, upon the fulfillment of the requirements and the submission of the necessary documents.
Accordingly, once an expatriate quota is granted and any other requirements fulfilled, then a Subject to Regularization (STR) visa will be granted.
Refusal of an application for business visa and expatriate quota or STR visa is only due to the non-fulfillment of the requirements and non-submission of the relevant documents. In which case, a re-application can be done to meet the requirements.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.