Morocco - Register a Death
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Go to the Registry Office.
- Bring the required documents.
- Present and submit the documents.
- The family book or the identity and civil status booklet.
- The medical certificate of death certification or administrative certificate (issued after the investigation by the local authority.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of the Interior
Avenue Mohammed V,
Telephone : 537-761-861
Fax : 537-762-056
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation
7 rue F. Roosevelt Rabat
Tel: 05 37 76 11 25/23 24
Fax: 05 37 76 55 08
Search for Moroccan Embassies and Consulates abroad (left side of the page)
Death shall be reported by the relatives of the deceased in the following order:
- Father, mother, testamentary guardian, or the dative tutor of the deceased during their lifetime
- Guardian for the person under guardianship (kafala)
- Local authority in case all the said persons failed to notify
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
You application will be processed on the same day you submitted the death notification.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Death notification is mandatory, it must be reported to the appropriate authorities within 30 days (beginning on the day the deceased died) if the death occurred in Morocco and within one year if the Moroccan died abroad. Death notification is registered on the basis of the documents submitted to the Civil Status Officer.
- Death shall either be reported to the Civil Status Officer in the place where the death occurred, to the Moroccan consulate, or to the embassy if the person died aboard.
- Deaths of occurring during sea or air journeys, shall either be notified to the Civil Status Officer in the nearest Moroccan seaport or airport, to the Moroccan Consul, to the diplomatic agent of the place of destination, or to the Civil Status Officer in the most recent place of residence of the deceased in Morocco, within a time limit of 30 days starting from the date of arrival.
- Failure to report the birth within the statutory period imposes a fine amounting between 300 and 1200 DH. to the person in charge of notification. Then, the Moroccan Court of First Instance whose jurisdiction is over the place where death occurred will render a judgement.
- Deceased Moroccans abroad: the competent authority is the Court of First Instance in the place of residence of the applicant for death notification in case no competent Court is available. This applies to Moroccans who have a domicile in Morocco, or those who have returned for once to Morocco, but not to immigrants having a permanent residence abroad with no domicile in Morocco.
- Regarding Moroccans residing abroad, submit an application to the President of the First Instance Court of Rabat as it is the competent Court, pay MAD 50 for each application to obtain a declaratory judgement.
- If the death occurred outside Morocco, the family may bring the deceased home by means of contacting competent services either of the commune, municipality, or province, and providing necessary documents.
- Once the procedures related to death notification is completed, funeral arrangement may now begin, starting with the issuance of the burial authorization, which is submitted by the Community Health Protection Office, or by the competent social service; and submitting necessary documents.
- After submitting all necessary documents, the heirs of the deceased are entitled to be provided with a short or a full copy of the death certificate by the Civil Status Office of the place of death. The said certificate shall be needed for administrative purposes in public institutions.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Following are procedures on how to register a death in Morocco.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Moroccan Government Public Service Portal:
More information which might help people.