Morocco - Change Your Name
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Go to the Registry Office.
- Bring the required documents.
- Present and submit the documents.
- a written request of the person concerned
- a full copy of the birth certificate of the applicant
- a copy of the criminal record or anthropometric record
- a copy of the criminal records of adult children
- a copy of the birth certificate of one of the family's father's side consanguineous (uncle, ...) with the name chosen; or adularia or administrative certificate supporting its request
- an information sheet completed by the interest which will be mentioned the name change and the name chosen in Arabic and Latin characters
- a certificate of "Naquib of Chorfas" if the chosen name is an honorific title that is a "Sharif
- A court order for a name change with a Moroccan character
- A decree if the name is foreign
Office Locations & Contacts
- Ministry of the Interior
Avenue Mohammed V,
T : 537-761-861
F : 537-762-056
Any interested person or his representative
Place of submission: The registry office of residence
Place of issue: The registry office of residence
There is no fee in changing your name.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
The change of name must meet certain criteria, including the correspondence on behalf of the rest of the paternal family and respect the laws in force in Morocco in the choice of names and surnames. Thus the name chosen must not undermine public order and religious.
If the applicant wishes to add the historic title of "Sherif" requires an attestation of the brotherhood of Chorfas
- Your name as listed on birth certificate or immigration or citizenship documents.
- The full name you are applying to change to (if you are changing your name).
- Date and place of birth
- Marital status and details
- Places of residence for last three months
- Address for Correspondence
Need for the Document
Following are the procedures on how to change your name in Morocco.
In order to change a name, you must meet certain criteria, including correspondence on behalf of the rest of the paternal family and respect the laws in force in Morocco in the choice of names and surnames. Thus the name chosen must not undermine the public and religious order. If the applicant wishes to add historic title "Sheriff", the proof of the brotherhood of Chorfas it needs.
Information which might help
The name change has two cases. If the choice is focused on a first name that is not in the tradition of Moroccan names, acceptance of the new name shall be by decision of the Prime Minister. The request is made in person or by post to the High Commission of Civil Status at the Ministry of Interior, together with the opinion of the local authority and a copy of the birth certificate of concerned and a copy of his criminal record.
In the other case where the nature of the name does not raise an exception, the process is processed at the office of the civil status of the place of residence.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
You may want to change your name because:
- You have just gotten married
- You have divorced
- You just want a change
- In case of adoption
How you should go about changing your name will depend upon which category you fit into. Changing your name after marriage or divorce is quite a simple process, while changing your name 'just because' requires a little more effort, but it is still quite straight forward and a lot easier than it used to be.
To change your name, submit a petition to your local Superior Court that details the reasons you'd like to change your name. After the court approves your request, you'll then need to update your Social Security card, driver's license and passport.