Morocco - Apply to Get Married
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Getting Married in Morocco
- Acquire all necessary documents to get married.
- Fiancs must go to an Adul office (Muslim Notary) accredited by the Family Justice Division. On the basis the documents provided by the fiancs, the Adul will fill in the official form for the marriage authorization application, which he will forward to the Family Judge for ratification.
- The Adul (Muslim Notary), is authorized to solemnize marriage. Once the marriage certificate is signed by the spouses and viewed by the Family Judge, the wife shall keep the true copy of the marriage certificate while a copy is given to the husband.
Getting Married Abroad
- With regard to the Moroccan Community Abroad. They can choose whether to contract marriage at consulates, or at the Civil Status Office in their country of residence, after they provide all the required documents.
- If the decided to get married at the Civil Status Office in their country of residence, the marriage certificate must conform to the provisions of the Family Code. It must be filed and registered with Moroccan authorities. A copy of the civil marriage certificate must be eventually submitted to competent Moroccan consular officials within a time limit of 3 months beginning on the date the marriage was contracted.
- Note that two Muslim witnesses must be present during the ceremony, bringing with them their identification in case their presence was not mentioned in the marriage certificate, for the spouses to be able to legalize and file their civil marriage certificate.
- In case there is no Moroccan consulate in the country the spouses are currently residing, then the said copy must be submitted, within the same time limit, to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation (Directorate of Consular and Social Affairs).
- The ministry will submit the copy to the Civil Status Officer in the spouses' birthplace in Morocco. If both or either spouses have no birthplace in Morocco, it is submitted to the Family Justice Division or to the Royal Prosecutor at the First Instance Court in Rabat.
- Once all these procedures are completed, a certificate is submitted to who it may concern after having filed the marriage certificate at Moroccan consular offices.
Authorization to draw up the marriage
- an extract of birth for the two lovers
- a medical certificate for each of the parties
- certified copy of the national identity card
- Administrative certificate on the fiancs
- Other required documents
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of the Interior
Avenue Mohammed V,
Telephone : 537-761-861
Fax : 537-762-056
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation
7 rue F. Roosevelt Rabat
Tel: 05 37 76 11 25/23 24
Fax: 05 37 76 55 08
Search for Moroccan Embassies and Consulates abroad (left side of the page)
- No consent is given upon the abolition of the dowry(Sadaq)
- Consent of spouses
- Presence of a proxy (Wali) where necessary
- Freedom from legal impediments
- Parties to the marriage must have reach the minimum age to marry which is 18 years old. The party to the marriage who is not of legal age yet, must obtain authorization permitting him/her to get married.
- Moroccan national (marriage between a Moroccan national and a foreign national is allowed)
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Marriage is a legal contract binding two people together, granting them rights and obligations. Following are procedures on how to get married in Morocco and for Moroccan citizens getting married abroad.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Moroccan Government Public Service Portal:
More information which might help people.