Libya - Register for Civil Society Organisation
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Any foreign organization wishing to support civil society in Libya shall register with the Foreign Organizations Registry at the Civil Society Support Center in Benghazi or Tripoli (hereinafter referred to as the Center).
In order to register an organization,the following conditions shall be fulfilled:
- The organization shall be duly registered under the laws of its country of origin.
- A translation of its Articles of Association endorsed by the Libyan Embassy or Mission in the concerned country shall be presented.
- A complete file containing information about its activities,areas of work biographical information about its Chairman and members of its Board of Directors, its contact information,and its website shall be presented.
- The organization shall submit an application stating the types of activities it desires to pursue in Libya, its plan of work and programs, and the time period required for completion of these programs.Unofficial translation provided by the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ICNL)Visit us online at http://www.icnl.org/2
- The origin or the headquarters of the organization shall not be located in a country in a state of war with Libya or in a country boycotted by Libya.
- The organization shall submit a proof of its financial and technical capacities to implement its planned activities in Libya and shall state the sources of these resources.
- The organization shall undertake to implement its programs in cooperation with at least one national organization.
- The organization shall submit a quarterly report to the Center about its activities in Libya.
- The organization shall maintain records of accounts showing its revenues and expenditures following sound accounting principles.
- The organization shall undertake not to provide any cash grants to localorganizations.
- Any potential support[to local organizations]shall be restricted to specific projects according to the controls set out below.
- Two (2) copies of organizations founding documents;
- Identity cards of founders;
- Proof of nationality or legality to operate / work in Libya
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Culture and Civil community
Alhabib Mohamed Alameen
P0 B0X 12556 Tripoli Libya.
Tel: +218 (21) 444 3700
Fax: +218 (21) 360 0889
Institution website address: http://www.libyacso.org/en/
Legal person to work in Libya with no aim of making profits with a minimum of 15 members.
The service is costing 50 LYD
License is valid for one year, thereafter it is renewed every after two years
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
It is three (3) months but before revolution it could go for about two (2) years.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- A Civil Society Organization (CSO) must comply with the following:
- It requires including members of the government on the executive / leadership board in order to register a Civil Society Organization (CSO in Libya.
- should not make any direct contact with the people in the area it wishes to operate unless it has given notice in writing of its intentions to the Local Councils of the area;
- Should cooperate with the Local Councils of the area;
- Should not engage in any act which is prejudicial to the national interest of Libya;
- There is a limit on registration of the organization whose objectives are in contravention of the law of Libya;
- An organization must also restrict its operations to the area in respect of which it is registered to carry out its operations;
- A registered organization should be ready to hold itself responsible for all acts of its members and employees;
- Obtain the approval of the Non government Organization board for any goods for which it seek exemptions;
- Should not engage in any gainful activities;
- Full names and address of founders / members
- Nationality of founders
- Name of organization
- Particulars of area of intended operation
- Details of specific activities to be done by the organization
Need for the Document
A Civil Society Organization (CSO) is a predominantly self help oriented organization with the principle aim of improving individual or household welfare. Like in any other country, Civil Society Organization (CSO) in Libya operates at the sub-county level and below.
Information which might help
- The Non Government Organization (NGO) Board has a right to reject or cancel any registration;
- In cases of dissatisfaction with rejection or cancellation, applicants can appeal;
- After registrations, applicants are expected to submit organizational annual reports nine (9) months after end of financial.
- It is illegal to pretend operating as a Non Government Organization (NGO) when in actual sense you are not.
- There are little limitations on ethical aspects. In the past years, registration of Community Based organizations in Libya has been
- Drastically restrictive and arbitrary and took a very long period of time; and after the lengthy registration battles, application could still be rejected
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- Civil Society Organization (CSO) help in achieving sustainable development and natural resource management, infrastructure and urban development;
- They are the main actors in building a sense of belonging and nationalism in order to avoid the danger of tribalism in political games.
- They help in building capacities amongst groups like women, youth, activists, politicians.
More information which might help people.