Libya - Register a Motorcycle
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
To register a motorcycle, one must:-
- Make sure you have a Log Book or V5 Registration Document for the motorcycle in your name; it is a book that shows all the technical and ownership information about motorbike like the motor registration number, the engine and chassis numbers;
- Get a license for the vehicle: Go to the official license plate office and get the motorcycle license plates made;
- Pay for insurance; and
- Then purchase a road license sticker and place on the front windshield of your vehicle.
- Log book
- Any Proof of ownership like transfer forms or purchase documents.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Economy & Trade
T : (21) 480-9361
F : (21) 480-9361
W : http://www.ect.gov.ly
Ministry of Tourism
Near Tripoli Seaport
Tel.: 021-3364621 (+218213364621)
Fax: 021-3364605 (+218213364605)
The Libyan Ministry of Tourism:
P.O. Box 82063 (and P.O. Box 71981),
Tel: (+218) 21 3334673;
(+218) 21 503 041;
Fax: (+218) 21 4445336.
Whoever owns a motorcycle is eligible to apply for registration.
- Fixed charges for every Motorcycle brought into Libya is 75 LYD
- Insurance 30 LYD per a vehicle (this differs depending on insurance company, duration, and vehicle type).
- License Plate 15 LYD
- Carnet de Passages fees for 1 bike or quads - $30 (US Dollars)
As long as the vehicle is not transferred, registration is valid
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The process of registration takes about one to two days.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Application form must be filled by owner;
- Must fill in all the required information in the application form
- One must have a 10 digit Tax Identification Number (TIN).
- Motorcycle registration number
- Registration date
- Full name and address of owner of owner
Need for the Document
Motorcycle registration is compulsory registration of a Motorcycle with a government authority. The purpose of this registration is to establish clear ownership and for easy taxation. While almost all motorcycles are uniquely identified by a Motorcycle identification number only registered Motorcycles display a registration plate and carry a Motorcycle registration certificate. Once buy a motorcycle in Libya, in order for it to fully functional, one must register it.
Information which might help
If you a visitor / foreigner you may also be requested to deposit a refundable fees of 100 LYD against license plate which you is refunded when you leave the country. And to easier things at the other end of the country (on exit), normally this money is deposited for you on arrival and receipt is kept as evidence to claim our money back after you leave the country.
A Foreigner also has to pay foreign tax of pay 500 LYD tax as a foreigner purchasing a car in Libya. This price may change basing on the size of the vehicle.
It is also important to note that If you bring your vehicle into the country twice or more in one year then you need to pay the above fixed charges each time you bring the vehicle into the country.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- Registration ensures security of the motorcycle because no one can transfer it to his name without your consent;
- It helps simplifying the processes of identification for taxation by the tax authorities;
- Details of the motorcycle are recorded in the database of the registering authority which information may be used in future for example in cases of lost logbooks;
More information which might help people.