Libya - Register a Death
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- When someone dies you need to call a doctor for issuing a Medical Certificate of Death detailing the cause and time of the death.
- Doctors usually give the Medical Certificate of Death directly to the deceased attendant who then gets one of the deceased's close family members to fill out a form called a Statement of Death.
- The deceased's Close Family then hands in both documents to the clerk's office at the local municipality in the area where the deceased died.
- The deceased's next of kin is notified when the Registrar has registered the death;
- once this notification is received you may apply for a death certificate, but there are certain requirements, one must be an immediate *family member in order to apply for a death certificate or an agent of an immediate family member with the written authority to do so.
- The death is then registered with the province's national civil Registrar and a death certificate is issued.
Short medical Death Certificate detailing the cause and time of Death.
Office Locations & Contacts
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
- National applications:10.5 LBD
- Foreign applications: US $ 40
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
This process takes around three months.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
A death certificate is issued by the national civil Registrar in the province where the death occurred.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Death brings about much sadness, but those left to grieve must also keep a clear head because a death in the family means a lot of organization and paperwork. Registering a death in Libya is an important task because a death certificate is a vital document needed in claims on the deceased's estate and assets. It is also necessary for the future should the deceased persons widow decide to remarry.
Death registration is regulated by the Birth and Death Registration Act in Libyan Laws. Death registration is compulsory and should take place within one month from the event.
Information which might help
- The process can be expedited if the next of kin have a genuine, pressing reason for getting the death certificate faster.
- when a relative needs to claim a will and has a pressing reason to do so, however the decision of whether you have a genuine reason to make an Early Registration of Death is left to each individual registrar.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.