Libya - Obtain a Motorcycle Drivers License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
So, you have bought a new motorcycle, and it is proudly parked outside your home looking all bright and shiny.
- Before you can take it to the road and feel as free as a bird with the wind rushing through you hair you will need to obtain your motorcycle operators license
- you need to attend your local drivers' education center to obtain a motorcycle learners permit.
- It is similar to the permit allowing you to drive a car but the motorcycle version has a few variations.
- When you first start to ride a motorcycle you are not allowed by law in Libya to carry passengers on the back of your bike,
- if they, like you only have a learners permit and in quite a few locations you are restricted to riding in daylight hours until you have acquired your full Motorcycle driving license.
- After paying the relevant fee your required to take written exams to show that you understand the basics before you apply for your motorcycle driver's permit which then enables you to drive in the dark and carry passengers on you bike.
- You should also remember that when you take the written test, this is only a process to getting a learners permit and you will only be issued with a full license when you have satisfactorily passed the skills section of the test.
- This is where you will be called upon to actually drive the motorcycle under supervision and when you have passed both parts of the test you #will be granted a full motorcycle driving license enabling you to ride carrying a passenger and with no restrictions as to the time of day you can ride your bike.
- When you are completing the skills part of the test you will need to show that you are familiar with the simple workings and especially the lights of your machine.
- You will also need to familiarize yourself with the many safety features of your bike too.
- The purpose of this part of the test is for the instructor to see how well you can handle the bike and it usually involves driving around a set of pylons.
- Most instructors will expect you to complete a series of more complicated moves such as safely making a sharp turn in order to avoid an obstacle in your path.
- You need to make an application for your license.
You can also follow the following steps
- Go for an Initial training test to obtain a provisional permit,
- Go for an eye check up to test for colour blindness and vision;
- Go for the Road test
- Go to the drivers license office in Fornaj and get an application form;
- Fill the form accurately attach all the required documents and take it to the police station; and wait to be called;
- When called, your application shall be viewed, stamped and a quick on the spot eye test shall be done;
- There after forms shall be returned to you; attach two passport photos and return the signed and stamped forms to the drivers license office.
- Make payment for the permit and ensure that you obtain a receipt.
- After two (2) to three (3) days, the license will be ready and therefore you will have to go back for it.
In cases where the applicant is a visitor and holds an international driving permit, first you have to:
- After an eye check up; you are required to get a letter from the embassy of your country of origin validating that your driving license is genuine. All you have to do is secure an appointment with the embassy to take your license, the letter must be signed and stamped ;
- Translate the letter into Arabic. The recommended translator is Magarief Bureau for Legal Translation.
- Staple the translated copy on top of the original and take it to the Judicial Expats in English located between Al Waddan hotel and Italian Embassy to verify and stamp the translated copy;
- Also take the copy to the Legalization office near the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for another stamp;
- Then from there you go to the issuing office and submit documents and continue with obtaining form and filling it accurate.
- There after you go through the following steps as indicated above (6 9).
In cases of visitor with valid drivers license from country of origin, all you have to do is translate it to Arabic.
- A signed and stamped eye test
- 2 copies of your drivers license (foreigners / visitors)
- Passport and drivers license(s)
- Identity card
- copy of your passport
- The stamped Arabic translated copy of the letter from your Embassy (in cases of foreigners with international permits)
- 3 passport photos
- Business Visa / residency visa (Visitors / foreigners)
Office Locations & Contacts
Magarief Bureau for Legal Translation
Address: Magarief Street N215 Tripoli
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +218 21 333 6811 / +218 21 333 1733
To be eligible to apply for a motorcycle license in Libya one must be eighteen (18) years an above..
- Eye test fees 25 LYD
- Embassy Fess Varies Us embassy for instance charges 70 LYD
- Translation to Arabic 11 LYD
- Legalization Office Stamp 90 LYD
- Quick Spot Eye Test 15 LYD
- Drivers License Fees 20.5 LYD
- Translated Permits 150 LYD
- A translated permit is valid for 3 months (therefore, if a non citizen needs to stay for more than three (3) months in Libya, he /she must obtain a Libyan Drivers License;
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
About 5 days or more
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Before applying for the drivers license, one must prove he she is eighteen (18) and above;
- Get the necessary Forms for the Licensing Office, Read carefully and fill in the required information.
- Make all the necessary payments
- Attach all the necessary documents required;
- Return the application form to the Licensing Office; and
- Appear in person to sign for your permit.
- Full Name of Applicant
- Name of mother
- Passport / Identity card Number
- Age and sex
- Date of Birth
Need for the Document
A drivers license legal document one requires in order to drive a vehicle on the road. A motor cycle drivers license is that legal document that permits a person to ride a motorcycle on the road. Thus it is illegal to ride a motorcycle without this legal document.
In Libya a drivers license is an affair comprising of two (2) pieces of paper glued together and laminated, one side has the picture of the owner and the other sheet has other details.
Information which might help
- It is important to note that
- International Driving Permits where translated or not are not recognized in Libya.
- If you are a visitor and you have your countrys driving license, you do not need a new one but translate it into Arabic at a cost of around 150 LYD.
- If you are a noncitizen, it is easier to get a license when you have an international permit than when you dont have any.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Completing your initial basic training course means an applicant will learn to become a safer road user, develop a strong understanding of basic motorcycle riding skills and be able to practice your riding unaccompanied on a public road.
- Initial Basic Training (IBT) improves road safety.
- Riding as much as possible on all types of roads and in all types of traffic situations will improve your technique and build confidence.
- A driving License can be used as proof of identity;
- The state uses its lengthy registration process to collect in-depth information on every person