Libya - Guidance To Apply Student Loan
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The process shall be as follows
Step 1 Check with Libyan commercial banks and Student Loan Agencies.
Private students need to check with the various banks in Libya and agencies that provide student loan . You should check for, the interest rate if any, repayment options, cycles, required documents and everything else related to the Student Loan,All these should be very clear to the students before requesting for a student loan.
Step 2 Contact the relevant bank or agency and apply for that Loan
The next step is to choosing the best available Loan options, students can contact the relevant bank or agency and may apply for a student loan. The Student Loans usually include almost everything that is required for attaining education, including Tuition,Accommodation and living expenses as well. Carefully evaluate how much money you or your family can provide towards your education. Every dollar you can pay directly is one less dollar you have to borrow.
Step 3 Obtaining and filling in application form from relevant bank or office of the dean of students);
A new application is required for each year of study and is subject to a credit and affordability assessment, which will determine what you qualify for. It is strongly recommended that you keep finance low to avoid the risk of not being able to secure finance for the entire duration of your studies.
Step 4 Attach all required documents;
First time applicants shall be required to attach two (2) duly endorsed recent passport-sized photographs, to the completed application form before submission in additional to other required documents.
step 5 Look for Guarantors Endorsement on your Application form
student loans require a Libyan citizen or permanent resident (National card holder) as a co-signer. The loans are credit-based, meaning the co-signer must have good credit history, good employment history (or other income history if the co-signer does not work), and must have lived in the Libya for the past two years.
- A Students Loan Guarantor must
- i) Be a member of that particular bank with an active account;
- ii) Know the student he/she guarantees for very well;
- iii) Ensure that all students guaranteed for have repaid their loans or made satisfactory arrangements for settlement of the loans.
step 6 Open an Active Bank Account
Loan applicants are required to operate an active bank account with any bank of their choice around their campuses in Libya and indicate their valid account numbers on their loan application forms.
Step 7 Submit your application with all the required document
Submit your application within a specified time frame in the loan's Department in the Bank.The forms shall then be assessed by the bank loan officer to make sure that all the guidelines of the loan have been followed before it is forwarded to loan's committee for further processing In this case any forms that are defective the applicant shall be informed through e-mail, sms message or by telephone.
Step 8 Approval and selection of successful applicant.
Then a list of successful applicants shall be generated and sent to the Head Operations for verification, and evaluation and recommendation to the coordinator for approval. The Bank loans officer then presents the approved list to the Loan Committee for discussion and final approval. If approved, the Bank loans officer forwards the list to the Head Operations and Finance for the implementation. Implementation will include authorization, and depositing the loan on the student account.
- i)Copies of previous Academic documents
- ii)A copy of an admission letter from the institution of higher education.
- iii)A copy of a document identifying the applicant:
- iv)Three recent passport photographs.
- v)Chart of prescribed fees.
Office Locations & Contacts
Please list down the office locations that can be approached for applying. External links can also be used specifying office locations.
- i)To be Eligible you must be a citizen of Libya in a private tertiary institutions.
- ii)Applicants must be Libyan students seeking to pursue higher education in an accredited private institution of higher learning.
- iii)Libyan students who can prove that they are in need of financial assistance for education-related expenses are eligible
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
valid for 2-4years
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing takes 30 working days
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- i)The loans are interest free and repayment is spread out over a period of 8 years after graduation.
- ii)Applicants must be Libyan private students.
- iii)Applicants must be admitted to an accredited private Higher Educational Institution.
- iv)Make a written application to the Students Loan Scheme
- v)Submission of application should be within a specified time frame.
- vi)Students should apply before commencement date to allow ample time for processing.
- vii)Successful loan applicants shall be required to sign the loan agreement.
- viii)Re- paying of loan shall be at least 8 years after completion education.
- i)Full name of applicant
- ii)Sex, Age and marital status
- iv) Education background
- v) Details of enrolling institution
- vi) Details of applicants course to studied at the institution mentioned above
- vii)Duration of course
- viii)Commencement and end dates of study;
- ix)Amount of tuition and other required payment;
- x)Bankers of the enrolling institution usually Local Egyptian Banks.
Need for the Document
Higher education in Libya is governed by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research(MHE&SR). A new law concerning higher education sector in Libya is in preparation.At the moment, the higher education sector is governed by Law No. 18 which was approved in January 2010.
- There are three types of tertiary institutions in Libya
- (2).Technical Faculties (Kuliat Tekania)
- (3).Higher Technical and Vocational Institutions (Maahed Mehania Ulia)
Unlike other African countries in Libya student loan scheme is unpopular as Higher Education is completely financed by the state, except for private universities. The MHE&SR allocates the annual budget for each university according to suggestion made by it. The budget is considered according to the criteria set by the MHE&SR,such as the institution's population, current infrastructure, needed construction and facilities. With six million people, Libya does not have a large population,the issue of Student loan only applies to private universities and Colleges.Students' fees are very small even in those universities. Students pay only registration fees in public universities at the beginning of the academic year or semester,other financial resources are generated through grants, investments and services provided to the public.
In contrast, private higher institutions are self-financed. Their main financial resources are from students' fees and services provided to the public. Student seek financing for their education from the private Banks in Libya.There is no interest on loans, banks in Libya are state-owned and loans given to all its citizens at zero percent interest by law.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.