Libya - Applying for a Journalist Visa
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
The procedure is divided into two stages:
Stage 1 (before arrival):
- You need to visit the nearest Libyan Embassy and apply for journalist visa. Nearly all applications are approved without any difficulties.
- The embassy then requests the "approval" from the FMD in Tripoli.
- The FMD then sends the approval to the embassy, together with the customs clearance (for the equipment to be brought into the country).
- Then you need to re-visit the embassy to provide a list of all the equipment to be brought into Libya.
- Finally the embassy issues the visa stamp and the customs clearance for the equipment.
Stage 2 (after arrival):
- With the visa stamp in your passport you travel to Libya.
- After arrival in Libya, your first point of contact is the FMD (Foreign Media Department) in Tripoli, to provide them with a full list of all the sites you would like to visit or film.
- Finally, the FMD will issue the necessary paper work: 'permission' to film the listed sites, and an 'ID', which you must carry with you at all times.
- Scanned copy of your passport's bio data page (the page with your photo).
- Your profession.
- Estimated date of arrival.
- Payment.Visa Fee (cash only)Paid in advance
- Application form
- A valid Passport.
- Two recent passport photos.
- Visa reference number (from Libya).
- Letter from employer.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Economy & Trade
T : (21) 480-9361
F : (21) 480-9361
W : http://www.ect.gov.ly
Ministry of Tourism
Near Tripoli Seaport
Tel.: 021-3364621 (+218213364621)
Fax: 021-3364605 (+218213364605)
The Libyan Ministry of Tourism:
P.O. Box 82063 (and P.O. Box 71981),
Tel: (+218) 21 3334673;
(+218) 21 503 041;
Fax: (+218) 21 4445336.
Mission of Libya To The United Nations
Address: 309 East 48th Street
Tel: +1 212 752 5775
Fax: +1 212 593 4787
United Kingdom: London:
Address of Libyan Embassy in London:
London SW1X 7LY
Tel: +44 207 201 8280
Fax: +44 207 245 0588
United States of America:
Libyan Liaison Office
2600 Virginia Avenue NW, Suite 705,
Washington DC 20037
Website: embassyoflibyadc.org/ -- now redirects to: libyausaembassy.com/
Business hours: 9am - 4:30pm (Monday to Friday)
Libyan Embassy in France:
Address: 2 rue Charles Lamoureux
Tel: +33 1 47047160
Fax: +33 1 47047160
Libyan Embassy in France:
3, villa Copernic
Tel: 33 1 40677575
Fax: 33 1 40671642
424 rue Paradis
Tel : 33 184.108.40.206
Libyan Embassy in Australia:
50 Culgoa Circuit, ACT 2606
Tel: +61 (02) 6290 7900
Fax: +61 (02) 6286 4522
Libyan Embassy in Canada Address: 81 Metcalfe Street, Suite 1000 Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6K7
Tel: +613 230-0919
Fax: +613 230-0683
Libyan Embassy in Russia:
Address: Ulitsa Mosfilmovskaya 38
Libyan Embassy in China:
Address: Sanlitun Dongliujie
Tel: 10 6532 3278-3891
Libyan Embassy in India:
Address: 22 Golf Link
Tel: +91 11 469 7717
Fax: +91 11 469 7771
Libyan Embassy in Japan:
Address: 10-14 Daikanyama-cho
Shibuya-ku, Post Code:150
Tel: +81 3 34770701
Fax: +81 3 34770701
Libyan Embassy in Germany
Podbielskiallee 42, 14195
Tel. +49 (30) 20 05 96-0
Fax. +49 (30) 20 05 96
Libyan Embassy in Spain:
Address: Pisuerga, 12 28002
Tel: +91 56460 06
Fax: +9156439 86
Libyan Embassy in Italy:
Address: Via Nomentana, 365
Tel: +39 (6) 86320951, 8600558
Fax: +39 (6) 86320951, 86205473
Libyan Embassy in Sweden:
Address: Stockholm Tel: +468143435
Libyan Embassy in Denmark:
Address: Rosenvaengets Hovedvei 4 DK-2100 Copenhagen East
Tel: +45 352 63611
Fax: +45 352 63611
Libyan Embassy in Brussels, Belgium
Av. Victoria, 28, 1050 Bruxelles
Tel: 2-649.21.13, 2-649.37.37
Libyan Embassy in Greece:
Address: Vyronos 13
Tel: +30 1 6471842
Fax: +30 1 6471842
Libyan Embassy in Switzerland:
Libyan Embassy in The Netherlands
Address: Parkweg 15 P.C. 2585
Tel: +31 70 3558886
Fax: +31 70 3558886
Libyan Embassy in Austria:
Address: Volksb?ro (Botschaft), Blaasstra 33
Tel: +43 1 3677639
Fax: +43 1 3677601
Libyan Embassy in Portugal:
Address: Av. Descobertas 24
Tel: +351 1 3016301
Fax: +351 1 3012378
Libyan Embassy in Czech Republic:
Address: Na Baste SV. Jiri 7 Prague 6
Tel: +420 2 33324188
Fax: +420 2 33324160
Libyan Embassy in Poland:
Address: ul. Kryniczna 2, 03-934
Tel: +48 (22) 6174822, 6174883
Fax: +48 (22) 6175091
Libyan Embassy in Bulgaria:
Address: Mladost 1 District Saharov Blvd., Residency 1
Tel: +359 9743556, 9743156
Fax: +359 9743273
Libyan Embassy in Croatia:
Address: Gornje Prekrizje 51B, 10000
Tel: +385-1 4629250
Fax: +385-1 4629279
Libyan Embassy in Romania:
Address: Bd Lascar Catargiu Nr.15, Sector 1
Tel: +40 (21) 2127832, 2125705, 2125706
Fax: +40 (21) 3120232
Libyan Embassy in Tunis
48 Bis Rue Du Ler Juin
35 Rue Alexander Dumas Sfax, Tunisia.
Libyan Embassy in Qatar:
Address: Box 574
Tel: +974 421776
Fax: +974 421776
Libyan Embassy in Daya, Kuwait:
Box 21460 - 13075
Tel: 2575183 - 2575184
Libyan Embassy in Saudi Arabia:
Address: Wourod Area - ben shaker street P.O. Box 94365
Tel: +966 1 4544511
Fax: +966 1 4567513
Libyan Embassy in South Korea:
Address: 4-5 Hannam-dongYongsan-ku
Tel: +82 2 7976001
Fax: +82 2 7976007
Libyan Embassy in The Philippines
Address: 2416 Bougainvilla Rd Dasmarinas Village Makati City
Tel: +63 2 8173461
Fax: +63 2 8173461
Libyan Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia
Jl. Pekalongan #24, Menteng
Tel: 6221-335.308 /-335.754
Libyan Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan
Tel: 851974, 851880
Libyan Embassy in Argentina
Address: Cazadores 2166
Tel: +54 114 7883745
Fax: -+54 114 7883760
Libyan Embassy in Brazil:
Address: QI 15, ch?cara 26, 71600-750
Tel:+55 (61) 2486710
Fax: +55 (61) 2480598
One must be a journalist visiting Libya on the mission of capturing news or Filming sites in Libya on behalf of the foreign organization. This Visa is granted to the following category of people.
- Professional journalist,
- columnist, cartoonist/editor,
- film producer or director (other than of commercial films),
- A representative of a radio and/or television organisation,
- Travel writer/travel promotion photographer etc or any
- professional journalist/owner working for an association or
- A company engaged in the production or
- Broadcast of audio visual news or
- Current affairs programmes through the print, electronic or any other electronic form or any other mode of mass communication.
- One visa single entry 85 Dinar.
This journalist visa is valid for 3 months only with a single entry. Regardless of the entry status, it can be renewed upon request.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing time take less than a one month but because of the complexity it can exceed that time.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained f
- if you intend to visit or film desert sites in Libya, then you need to obtain a journalist Visa which include those sites in the list of the sites you intend to film.
- If you secure permission from the Foreign Media Department for the whole list (as of the above procedure) then you can visit and film in all the sites approved in list.
- It is therefore necessary to include all the sites you intend to visit in the list before you submit it to the Foreign Media Department.
- Documents customs clearance for the equipments to be brought into the country.
- A list of all the equipment to be brought into Libya.
- A valid passport for less than 6 months to expire.
Need for the Document
Journalist visa is issued to professional journalists and photographers for up to three months stay in Libya. Some countries require for people in that journalist occupation when traveling for their respective filming and news organizations. Countries which insist on this include but not limited to Libya , Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, the United States (I-visa) and Zimbabwe. Journalist Visitors to Libya must obtain a journalist visa from one of the Libyan diplomatic missions unless they come from one of the visa exempt countries.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people.