Libya - Applying for Work Permit Visa
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Step 1: in order to apply for a work visa the applicant must have a job offer from a Libyan company.
Step 2: the company initiates the process by applying to the Work Department (???? ?????) for a work visa approval, providing a copy of the applicant's passport, an invitation letter prepared by the company, and the required fees.
Step 3: the work department approves the application, and sends a copy to the immigration (????? ???????? ??? ???????).
Step 4: the immigration department prepares the actual "work visa approval" (see below for a copy) and faxes a copy to the Libyan embassy in the applicant's country of origin.
Step 5: the applicant visits the embassy, pays the appropriate fees, and secures the visa stamp in his or her passport.
- A copy of the applicant's passport
- An invitation letter prepared by the company,
- The required fees.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Economy & Trade
T : (21) 480-9361
F : (21) 480-9361
W : http://www.ect.gov.ly
Ministry of Labour
T : (21) 362-0106 7
F : (21) 219-9757
Benghazi Chamber of Commerce,
Industry & Agriculture
Jamal Abdul Nasir Street,
T : (61) 909-4526/7/5141 3/ 908-2857/98/0625
F : (61) 908-0761/0626
Any foreign nationals who wish to work in Libya
- One single-entry work visa 195 $300
- One 3-months multiple-entry work visa 305 $475
- One 6-months multiple-entry work visa 380 $590
The initial work visa is usually granted for three months. The visa then can be renewed or extended once inside Libya.
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Process time usually takes 48 hours up to 10 days
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please make sure your passport meets the following legal requirements:
- The passport must be valid for the duration of your stay in Libya, and for at least six months when you leave Libya.
- The passport does not have an Israeli stamp.
- The passport must contain at least two blank pages.
- Scanned copy of your passport's bio data page (the page with your photo).
- Your profession.
- Estimated date of arrival.
Need for the Document
Libya work visa is granted to foreign nationals who wish to work in Libya. Working in the country without a work visa is illegal.A small Libyan company usually has the right to bring 20 foreign workers into the country, except where the company has existing contracts to run large projects which often require more workers. The work visa process must be initiated via the Work Department in Libya.
Information which might help
- Like the majority of Libyans, they do not agree to "tipping". Please do not offer any tips to any employees and guides. Libya is unique in this respect.
- Visitors can now use public transport to travel within Libya and from border to border.
- Prices still fluctuate and an update that relate to pages as and when prices stabilise.
- A recent law, which came into effect on June 2009, stated that Libyan travel operators must apply for a Visa Authorisation Number to the immigration department in Libya, which will then be either used for visa on arrival or faxed to the specified Libyan embassy.
- The visitor then needs to visit the embassy to complete the visa process and collect the actual visa stamp, after completing the application form, providing passport photos, and paying the fees. However, according to another new law, came into effect on the 2nd of August 2009, faxing the visa authorisation number to the embassy has been replaced by the old "visa approval", usually used to obtain visa on arrival, either at the airport or the land border. This procedure is still valid as of January 2014.
- You must make sure you do not have an Israeli stamp in your passport, including those obtained at the Egyptian-Israeli and Jordanian borders (as of 2011)
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
The passport must be valid for at least six months when you leave Libya, which means that if you intend to stay one month in Libya, the passport must be valid for at least seven months when you arrive in Libya.
Most of our guides speak good level of English, and some speak French, Italian or Spanish.
Best time to visit Libya: October to December: not hot, not cold; just warm & clear sky (mostly).