Libya - Apply for a Driver Licence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- In most states in order to obtain a driving license, you may be required to first have learners permit.
- The learners permit allows to driver to a limited time while practicing or undertaking drivers education
- The minimum age required varies from 18 years in some other countries to as high as 20 years old in other countries and there may also be graduated license laws that restrict certain driving privileges.
- There are certain documents, such as birth certificates and social security numbers that are required along with photo identification.
- Acquire a Libyan Driver's Manual from a local Driver License Center, or on the website.
- Have a physician, physician assistant, certified registered nurse practitioner or chiropractor conduct a physical examination and complete Form DL-180 "Medical Qualification Certificate."
- Visit a Driver License Center with:
- The completed DL-180. The completed DL-180TD (you must be the age 18 and above). This form must be completed by you and you must be 18 years of age or older.
- Proof of identity, which is listed on reverse side of DL-180. Note: If you are changing your name, you must present original documents *supporting name changes such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order.
- Two acceptable proofs of residency, listed on reverse side of DL-180, if you are 18 years of age or older. Proof of residency is required.
- Your Social Security card.
- A check or money order payable to for the appropriate fee. (Cash is not accepted.)you must pay in the bank of your choice.
- An eye screening and Knowledge Test will be given.
- Once passed, a Learner's Permit will be issued.
- The Learner's Permit will be valid for one year.
If you are age 18, a six-month waiting period and 65 hours behind the wheel driving experience is required prior to taking the skills test.
- Schedule a road test either online or by visiting in person.
- When visiting a Driver License Center to take your road test, please be sure to bring the following items with you:
- Your valid learners provisional permit
- proof of payment, if applicant is getting the permit for the first time 18 years of age
- Proof of vehicle insurance
- Proof of vehicle registration
- Accompanying drivers valid drivers license
- Completing a classroom Driver's Education program in one of the Driving Schools.
- Behind-the-wheel driving practice with a driving instructor.
- Passing the Motor Vehicle written test.
- Supervised driving with a licensed instructor during a learner's permit phase.
- Passing the Motor Vehicle road test.
- Unsupervised driving during a provisional license phase.
- Restricted driving hours.
- Birth certificates
- social security numbers
- photo identification.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Economy & Trade
T : (21) 480-9361
F : (21) 480-9361
W : http://www.ect.gov.ly
Ministry of Tourism
Near Tripoli Seaport
Tel.: 021-3364621 (+218213364621)
Fax: 021-3364605 (+218213364605)
The driving license is issued to an applicant who is 18 years and above and it is issued to a learner driver who has passed a driving test.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
- One in possession a three year driving permit has two years during which one can renew their permit.
- One in possession of a one year driving permit has four years during which one can renew their permit.
- If any of these two does not renew their respective permits within the respective periods, the penalty is for them to start the whole permit application process afresh.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
This process can take like 3 month to get a Driving permit in Libya.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
To acquire the driving license, it necessitates one to visit both the Libyan Revenue Authority (LRA) Licensing office.
- Complete a Driver's Ed program.
- Apply for a learner's permit.
- Obtain a provisional license.
- Upgrade to your unrestricted driver's license.
Need for the Document
A driving license allows you to legally drive or operate a motor vehicle in Libya.The rules and stipulations for obtaining one differ for each country and there are multiple classifications of drivers licenses that restrict how they can be used.
To be a professional driver, a commercial drivers license along with endorsements that require additional training is needed in Libya. The training and test requirements for the Commercial Drivers License are regulated at the Federal Government level.
Information which might help
There is also an international drivers license, which allows you drive in other regions, however, in order to obtain one, you must have a valid driving license from your home country.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.