Liberia - Obtain an Official Passport
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- In order to receive an official passport, someone must be an official in the Liberian Government and if not an official He/she must be recommended and Authorized by a written instruction from the Minister of Foreign Affairs or the president of Liberia.
- These passports also require special application forms along with forms which confirm that the bearer specifically needs an official passport, rather than a regular passport or another type of special passport.
- If someone qualifies for an official passport, his or her immediate family does not qualifies as well.
- This passport can only be used for someone who is an officer of government of Liberia and must be on duty to Apply for this kind of passport unless he or she has a special letter from the Minister of foreign affairs or President of Liberia.
- If an Officer wants to travel as a tourist, he or she will need a regular tourist passport.
- The initial procedure involves the policy after the application form is filled and submitted to the local office.
- Full scale verification is carried out by the ministry of Foreign Affairs and Liberian police of the individual living in the area.
- The research is done to prove if the official needs an Official passport and identity is checked and reference taken.
- The verification duly signed by the Minister of Foreign Affairs and a high ranking official of the police department is then sent to the Bureau of Immigration and Naturalization (BIN) in Liberia regional passport office for further process.
- This takes time and one needs to appear personally at the regional office.
- This procedure sometimes takes time , and there is no provision for those in a hurry in this kind of passport.
- The application has to be attached with a supporting documents from the minister in line or president.
- The supporting letter from the government department in line with his or her Duties.
- The most important are proof of service you are conducting on behalf of the government of Liberia that warrants you a privilege to hold this kind of passport.
- Proof of your birth, age, address, photographs and related documents.
- The Government photo identity in line of duty is a must if you have a national card or a driving license it will be an additional.
- Even a ration card or voter card works fine but not sufficient.
- For date of birth and additional information school mark sheet or a degree is accepted.
- These regulatory compliance are a must with the an official passport in Liberia.
- Your identity papers have to be signed by you during police verification process.
- Once all the formalities are complete and submitted, after the application is accepted you can pick your passport from the passport Bureau of Immigration and Naturalization (BIN) in Liberia.
- Valid and signed Letter from the Government of Liberia Official.
- Two (2) Application Form completed and signed.
- Two (2) Passport type photograph.
- An official Passport and Visa Work Order Form.
- Visa Cover Letter from Ministry of Foreign affairs Department of State of president of Liberia.
- Letter from Government department or agency, addressed and endorsed by the minister of foreign Affairs or president:
The letter must explain all of the following:
- Applicant's position and title in the Government of Liberia.
- The purpose of holding an official passport
- Dates of the intended travel and stay
- Contact person in the country you are planing to visit or posted
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Capitol Hill, Monrovia
Republic of Liberia
Minister: Olubanke King-Akerele
Mamba Point, 1000 Monrovia
PO Box 10-9002
This is issued or granted only to officials of Government who are subject to confirmation by the Senate and must be holding positions or ranks or appointed to hold such a passport even if not working for the Government.
It is usually issued free of charge and the government meet all the expenses. The Payments for Diplomatic, Official and Service Passports are made by the Government entity/institution requesting for such passports on behalf of an official or employee of Government.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will not accept payment for Diplomatic, Official or Service passports from officials or employees of Government directly.
- The Applicant for official Passport or other categories of passports not in the employ of Government must bear the cost of issuance of such passports.
- This should be done through a requests from the National Legislature and should be written by the Chief Clerk for the House of Representatives and the Secretary of the Senate for the Senate; and for the judiciary through the court Administrator.
Valid for a period of 2 years
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The process take 3 Months
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- An Official and Service Passports must be issued by and at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. *Therefore, no Foreign Service officer or Mission of the Republic of Liberia shall issue Diplomatic, Official and Service Liberian Passports except when specifically authorized by written instructions from the Minister of Foreign Affairs or the President or Head of State of the Republic of Liberia
- Ministries, agencies of Government, organizations and individuals applying for Official or Service passport on behalf of an official or employee must show written proof that the applicant is employed with the entity.
- Holders of Official Passports shall be expected to refrain from using the passports in ways that injure the image of the country and undermine the dignity of such passports.
- Full name
- Place and Date of birth
- Valid identity proof
- Telephone number
- Maiden names for married women
- Husbands full name in case of married women
- Date and place of marriage
Need for the Document
An Official Passport is a class of passport whose issuance is dictated by the nature of the work of the applicant and may be issued or granted only to officials of Government who are subject to confirmation by the Senate where applicable, and hold the following positions or ranks
- Deputy Ministers, Assistant Ministers, Assistant Ministers equivalent,Deputy Managing Directors, Directors of Government Ministries and Commissioners.
- Judges of Courts of Record, Magistrates, Justices of the Peace, County Attorneys and Defense Counsels/Public Defenders.
- The Chief Clerk of the Supreme Court, Marshals, Deputy Marshals and Sheriffs.
- Superintendents of Counties, Assistant Superintendents, Paramount Chiefs, City Mayors and Council Members.
- Members of the military and paramilitary from the rank of lieutenant or its equivalent and above.
- Other officials and distinguished citizens of the Republic of Liberia, at the determination of the Minister of Foreign Affairs and for good and sufficient reason, those designated to go on special mission for Government, even though they are non Government Officials.
- Attendants of Diplomatic Passport holders, if accompanying their principals.
- All appointed board members of public corporations.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.