Liberia - Obtain a Diplomatic Passport
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
In order to receive a diplomatic passport, someone must indicate that he or she will be traveling overseas on state business, representing a national government in another nation.These passports also require special application forms along with forms which confirm that the bearer specifically needs a diplomatic passport, rather than a regular passport or another type of special passport.
- If someone qualifies for a diplomatic passport, his or her immediate family qualifies as well.
- This passport can only be used for someone who is on official business government duty.
- If a diplomat wants to travel as a tourist, he or she will need a regular tourist passport.
- The initial procedure involves the policy after the application form is filled and submitted to the local office.
- Full scale verification is carried out by the Liberian police of the individual living in the area.
- The identity is checked and reference taken. The verification duly signed by high official of the police department is then sent to the regional passport office for further process,
- This takes time and one needs to appear personally at the regional office.
- This procedure sometimes takes time , but for those in a hurry there is a provision where a higher fee has to be paid.
- The application has to be attached with various documents.
- The most important are proof of age, address, photographs and related documents.
- The photo identity is a must if you have a national card or a driving license it will do.
- Even a ration card or voter card works fine.
- For date of birth and additional information school mark sheet or a degree is accepted.
- These regulatory compliance are a must with the diplomatic passport in Liberial.
- Your identity papers have to be signed by you and also by relatives or neighbours during police verification process.
- Once all the formalities are complete and submitted, the passport arrives by a registered post after the application is accepted you can pick from the passport Bureau of Immigration and Naturalization (BIN) in Liberia.
- Valid and signed Letter from the Government of Liberia Official.
- Two (2) Application Form completed and signed.
- Two (2) Passport type photograph.
- Ordinary Passport and Visa Work Order Form.
- Visa Cover Letter from Ministry of Foreign affairs Department of State
- Letter from sending department or agency, addressed to:
- "Embassy of (the country you are planing to visit or posted),
- Visa Section, Immigration Section."
The letter must explain all of the following:
- Applicant's position and title
- The purpose of holding a Diplomatic passport
- Dates of the intended travel and stay
- Contact person in the country you are planing to visit or posted
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Capitol Hill, Monrovia
Republic of Liberia
Minister: Olubanke King-Akerele
Mamba Point, 1000 Monrovia
PO Box 10-9002
Diplomats and other government officials like ministers, foreign service officers, chief justice, bank governor, chancellors and vice chancellors of state universities, recognized cultural and traditional leaders, the speaker and deputy speaker of parliament and others, for work related international travel together with others including their families like Spouses are eligible for a diplomatic passport.
It is usually issued free of charge unless you need quicker process it might need you to pay.
Periods of validity: generally Two years from the date of issue.
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
It takes 30 working days to process a diplomatic passport in Liberia.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
All persons applying for Liberian passports or travel documents must possess and present proof of being a natural born or naturalized Liberian citizen or must have taken the oath of allegiance of Liberian citizenship.
(i) The evidence shall be either a certified Liberian birth certificate; or
(ii) If the applicant is not a natural born citizen, he/she must present a certified certificate of citizenship/naturalization issued by a Liberian Court of competent jurisdiction, which must be verified and confirmed by the Bureau of Immigration and Naturalization (BIN)
- The interested party or applicant is required to obtain the passport application forms A and B from the Passport office nearest you or from ministry of foreign Affairs in Liberia.
- The above should be followed by the applicant filling in the Passport application forms as required on the forms, take the forms to the required local offices including all the required attached document.
- Upon review and approval of the submitted documents, the responsible office will issue a Payment which the applicant will take to the bank and pay the required amount in addition to the bank charges.
- This will be followed by presenting the bank receipts and upon verification of the payment, the applicant will be told when to go back for the Passport picking depending on the number of days given.
- Full name
- Place and Date of birth
- Valid identity proof
- Telephone number
- Maiden names for married women
- Husbands full name in case of married women
- Date and place of marriage
Need for the Document
Diplomatic Passport is a class of passport which may be issued or be granted only to persons or individuals who are or may be required or assigned to represent the Republic of Liberia. Diplomatic agent in foreign nations or to the below listed categories of officials of Government and others.
A diplomatic passport is a passport which is issued to a person having diplomatic status who must travel internationally on official Government business. Diplomatic passports are classically given to diplomats and consuls when they are posted overseas, and they may be issued to other people within the government as well, depending on the circumstances. The person holding this passport is immune from most forms of criminal prosecution.
Diplomatic passports are usually a different color from other types of passports, making them very easy to identify; black is a classic color for diplomatic passports. Carrying a diplomatic passport does not entitle someone to diplomatic immunity.
Information which might help
- Former Presidents and Vice Presidents, Chief Justice, Speaker, Presideny Pro- Tempore and their spouses shall be issued Diplomatic Passports.
- Former heads of Transitional/Interim Governments and their spouses shall be issued Diplomatic passports.
- Former Ministers of Foreign Affairs shall be issued Diplomatic Passport.
- All former officials (Cabinet Ministers, members of the Legislative Body,Justices of the Supreme Court, Ambassadors) shall be issued Official passports.
- The Official or Diplomatic passport for a former official shall indicate the former title. Example: former member of the Senate, House, Cabinet,Diplomat, etc.
- All Officials of Government who are dismissed for acts incompatible with their status are not permitted to benefit from the issuance of such privileged passports diplomatic or official or Service passport.
- The usage of Official Passports in such situations are carefully monitored to prevent and/or curtail abuse of Special privileges of this passport.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.