Liberia - Obtain a Death Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The bureau of Vital Statistics in Liberia has the mandate to produce birth and death certificates, collect, compile and disseminate health information (data), supervise health research, and monitor health programs in the country.
- To obtain a copy of any of a death certificate in the Liberia, write or go to the Bureau of vital statistics office in Monrovia or area where the event occurred.
- To ensure that you receive an accurate record for your request and that your request is filled with all due speed, please follow these steps:
- Make your letters concise and to the point.
- Do NOT include more than one or two requests at once, and be careful not to write confusing details of your family lines.
- Type or print all names and addresses in your letter.
- Provide complete information on an individual and event for which you need documents.
- Include all names that may have been used, including nicknames, alternate spellings, etc.
- List dates and type of event as completely and accurately as possible.
- If you don't know the exact date, specify the span of years you wish searched and be prepared to pay for searches that span several years.
- Always provide an S.A.S.E., (Self Addressed Stamped Envelope).
- County offices have limited personnel and are often swamped with paper work.
- Genealogical queries are done as a service which is outside of their realm of responsibility. **They ask therefore that you exercise patience and courtesy in your transactions with their offices.
- Be sure and include following information:
- date of request
- full name of deceased (last name in caps)
- sex of that person
- date of death
- place of death (city or town, county, Paris and Municipality)
- relationship to party
- the purpose for which the record is needed
- requestor's name & address
- requestor's driver's license number & province (some counties require it)
- requestor's signature
- The person registering the dead shows an attestation signed by a medical officer who confirmed the death of the person.
- In the absence of such a document, he/she must show an attestation signed by both the Village local Executive Secretary and the Village leader where the deceased resided or buried.
- The applicant then waits for a few days for the death to be entered into a civil register.
- The officer in charge of civil registry then issues a death certificate
- Medical certificate of death
- Identification documents
- Birth certificate
Office Locations & Contacts
REPUBLIC OF LIBERIA
BUREAU OF VITAL & HEALTH STATISTICS
MINISTRY OF HEALTH & SOCIAL WELFARE
Ministry of Health & Social Welfare
P. O. Box 10-9009
1000 Monrovia 10, Liberia
Email Address : email@example.com
Any Liberian Citizen who has lost a person and require a death Certificate.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
It is valid for a longtime
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The processing time is between 7 days and a month depending on the location and agency.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- The application Must be submitted by an adult or by any relative of the deceased person even if he is a minor.
- The applicant must obtain a doctors report showing the course of the death before requesting for a death certificate.
- Death must be registered in a period of 24 Hours after the occurrence.
- Name of the deceased person
- Sex of the deceased person
- The year, month, day and place of death;
- Ethnicity, of the deceased person
- Date of birth, of the deceased person
- Occupation, of the deceased person
- Residence of the deceased person
- Domicile of the deceased person,
- Name deceased's father and mother
- Occupation of deceaseds father and mother
- Domicile of the deceased's father and mother;
- Name of the person applying for the death certificate
- Age, of the person applying for the death certificate
- Occupation of the person applying for the death certificate
- Domicile of the person applying for the death certificate
- Degree of relationship of the person applying for the death certificate to the deceased person;
Need for the Document
The Liberian Public Health Law of 1976 mandates the Ministry Of Health Social Welfare to register all deaths within 24 hours after their occurrence. This regulation has not been implemented to its fullest by the Ministry due to limited access to death registration services and information on the importance and need for death certificates. As a result of inadequate access, the coverage of registration has always been low in Liberia. Apart from the mentioned plausible reasons for low registration of deaths, traditional and religious practices contribute to low of Death registration in Liberia.
Death certificates are usually processed in Liberia with the intent to obtain insurance benefits, to settle inheritance issues and not as a requirement for burial and documentation of cause of death.
Information which might help
- The Department of Health Services is the technical arm of the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare.
- The department is headed by the deputy minister of health services who is also the chief medical official of the republic of Liberia.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.