Liberia - Industrial Fishing License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Declare your intention to fish and submit an application to the Bureau of National Fisheries. A link is provided under 'Documents to Use' section which you can use to download the application form, you can also obtain a copy of the form at BNF's office. Submit the completed form together with all required documents.
- Pay the inspection, observer and vessel registration fees to the Special Fisheries Account at the Central Bank of Liberia (details available from the BNF)
- Sign Access agreement between the Government of Liberia and the Vessel Parent Company. Written authorisation must be given to the Liberian agent for signature on behalf of the Parent Company.
- The Bureau of National Fisheries requires applicants to go through the inspection process at the Fisheries Pier in the Port of Monrovia.
- The inspection team will submit their report to the Bureau of National Fisheries.
- Submission of fishing plan by vessel for evaluation by the Bureau of National Fisheries
- A payment that equal to 10% of the total catch during the license period is required. An initial payment of 5% of estimated value of catch as in fishing plan must be paid to the Ministry of Finance.
- Fixing of Mobile Transceiver Unit or submission of existing MTU codes as part of the Vessel Monitoring System (VMS) requirement
- After the Fishing License has been granted, there are further requirements, including:
- Assignment of Fisheries Observer for every fishing trip
- VMS switched on at all times
- Reporting procedures
- All catch landed in Liberia is subject to landing fees, valued per ton dependent on species.
- All catch that is transhipped must receive permission to do so from the Bureau of National Fisheries.
- All catch that is not landed in Liberia must receive permission to both tranship and submit an export application to the Bureau of National Fisheries. For more information please go to the Import / Export pages of this website.
- Payment of the further 5% of total license period catch value at the end of license period to the Ministry of Finance
- Completed application form
- Photograph of the vessel showing all required markings
- Copy of vessel registration documents from the Flag State
- Copy of the business registration license with proof of address in country of business registry
- If the vessel is currently licensed to fish in other countries other than the Flag State: Copies of all licenses
- Copy of documents detailing the VMS Code
- Authorisation to fish in Liberian waters from the Flag State (if applicable)
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Agriculture
P.O. Box 10-9010
Somalia Drive, Gardnersville
1000 Monrovia 10, Liberia
Republic of Liberia
+ (231) 077-961-574
+ (231) 086-560-962
All industrial fishing vessels that wish to fish in Liberian waters
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Fishing licenses are granted for a maximum period of 12 months, always ending on December 31st of each year.
Documents to Use
Note: A copy of the form can also be picked up from the Bureau of National Fisheries office.
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
The procedure below is required for all industrial fishing vessels, including those that wish to target the pelagic tuna fishery.
- Full name of the fishing vessel
- Previous names of the fishing vessel, if known
- Registration number
- Port of registry
- International radio call sign
- Vessel communication types and numbers (Inmarsat A, B and C numbers and satellite telephone number, fax)
- Identifying code letters and/or numbers used for identification during radio transmission
- Type of Vessel Monitoring System installed. (Model and serial numbers)
- Navigation and position fixing aids
- Name and address of the owner(s) of the vessel
- Full name, address and nationality of each person who is an operator of the vessel, state whether owner, charterer, master or other (if other, please state details)
- Normal crew complement
- Vessel type
- Vessel specifications
- Fishing gear description:
- types (as defined by the International Standard Statistical Classification of Fishing Gears)
- gear specifications
- Authorization or license granted by the flag State:
- Form and number
- Period of validity
- Specific area(s), species and time periods for which it is valid
- Full name and address of insurer
- Registration number and make of helicopter, if any, to be carried on the vessel
- Registration number, make and name and address of any operator of any aircraft to be used in association with fishing activities
- State whether the owner or charterer is insolvent or in any bankruptcy proceeding under the laws of any State
- State whether the owner, operator or vessel has been involved in a violation of any law of the Republic of Liberia
Need for the Document
All industrial fishing vessels that wish to fish in Liberian waters must obtain a valid fishing license from the Bureau of National Fisheries.
Here is a procedure on how you can apply for an Industrial Fishing License.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.