Liberia - Apply for Emergency Travel Document (Laissez Passer)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
The first procedure is to Contact your nearest Liberian embassy, high commission or consulate to check if you need to make an appointment.
- You must bring with you:
- a completed emergency travel document application form. -I-94 Form
- a recent photograph of yourself a colored photograph.
- proof of your travel plans - eg, booking confirmations (or detailed written travel plans if you cant book ahead)
- a police report if your passport has been stolen or lost.
- You will have to pay a fee in local currency, equivalent to $75.
- The embassy or consulate staff will check that youre eligible for an emergency travel document. *If youre not, they will tell you why.
- You may get the document on the day you apply if your circumstances are straightforward.For an additional Seventy Five U.S Dollars ($75) each.
- It can take longer if your circumstances are more complex.like 2 weeks depending on the complex of the situation.This may force you to change to change your travel plans.
- The emergency travel document will only be valid for the journey that you specified when you applied and for a specific period of time.
- This will be shown on the document.
- Your existing Liberian passport will be cancelled in most cases.
- Immigration authorities may keep your emergency travel document when you arrive at your destination.
- To leave Liberia on an Emergency Travel Document you will need to visit Bureau of Immigration and
Naturalization Office to complete the exit formalities.
- Some passport offices outside of Monrovia may assist, but in many cases you will have to complete the formalities at the National HQ in Monrovia.
- Completed application form
- Letter of Clearance from Police
- Two (2) Application Form completed and signed.
- Two (2) Passport type photograph.
- Proof of Liberian citizenship i.e. National Identity Card.
- Copy of Airline tickets or Itinerary
- you can Contact the Liberian embassy in your country of residence for further information on Emergency travel documents.
- Additional requirements for Minor (17 Yrs. Old and below)
- Notarized letter from both parents requesting for the issuance of Laissez Passer (Travel Document) (Both parents must sign)
- If only one parent/guardian is traveling with minor, explain in the letter.
- If parent have full custody, attach copy of custody papers.
- If parents are not traveling with minor, state in letter who will be responsible for the minor (Attached copies of their passport and their (Itinerary) flight information)
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Capitol Hill, Monrovia
Republic of Liberia
Minister: Olubanke King-Akerele
Mamba Point, 1000 Monrovia
PO Box 10-9002
All Liberian citizen who does not possess a passport and who desires to travel to Liberia are eligible to acquire this travel document.
Type of Request Fee (EURO)
1.Laissez Passer 150
2.Express Laissez Passer 200
3.Interview of Identification and Verification of Liberian Citizen 150
6.Express Affidavit 150
7.Letter of Clearance 150
8.Express Letter of Clearance 200
9.Authentication of document(Per Page) 100
10.Express Authentication of document 150
11.Processing FEE of Seventy-five U.S Dollars ($75.00).
Note.The fee for Laissez Passer shall be US$10.00 and the fee for Border Crossing Passes shall be determined by the BIN but not to exceed US$5.00
If dropped off before 12 pm, pick up is by 2:30 pm) Next day processing fees for documents is an additional Fifty U.S Dollars ($50) each.
Applicants need not apply in person. They must send a USPS self-stamped addressed envelope (EXPRESS MAIL) together with the requirements in order to ensure the return of the ready document
Valid for 90 days from the date of issue.
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
There is a waiting period of 5 working days for processing.
Processing usually takes 14 days or less.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- All Laissez Passer and Border Crossing Passes shall be issued pursuant to provisions of Article III.
- Applicants need not apply in person..
- This document is for a single journey to Liberia and the bearer is required to obtain a valid passport when is Liberia through the Passport Office at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Liberia.
- Full name
- Place and Date of birth
- Valid identity proof
- Present Address
- Telephone number
- Maiden names for married women
- Husbands full name in case of married women
- Date and place of marriage
- Emergency contact person.
Need for the Document
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Liberias Embassies and Consulates ,on a case by case basis also issue Laissez Passer for emergency travels to Liberian citizens and foreigners who were born in Liberia and desire to travel to their countries of nationality for the purpose of obtaining proper travel documents. Under emergency situation, the Embassy can issue emergency travel document (Laissez Passer) to a Liberian who does not possess a passport and who desires to travel to Liberia.
This document is for a single journey to Liberia and the bearer is required to obtain a valid passport through the Passport Office at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Liberia. Laissez Passer has a duration of 90 days as indicated in the instrument. However, no Laissez Passer shall have validity beyond ninety(90) days as of the date of issuance.
Information which might help
- LAISSEZ PASSER CAN ONLY BE USED IF YOU ARE FLYING DIRECTLY TO LIBERIA.
- YOU CAN NOT RETURN TO THE ORIGINAL COUNTRY WITH A LAISSEZ PASSER.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.