Kerala - Report Theft or Misuse of Power
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- To lodge complaint against the theft of power/electricity, applicant has to approach the concerned officer in the Electricity board of their area.
- Link for contact: KSEB vigilance contact.
- Applicant has to write a letter to the officer regarding the electricity theft happened in their premises.
- Include all the details of the suspect like personal details, address, meter number and the area of suspect. Also provide informant details like name, valid mobile number and Email in the letter along with the complaint description.
- Submit the letter to the officer with necessary identity proof and supporting documents.
- Make sure you have all the necessary documents mentioned in the “Required documents” section below.
- Now the officer will conduct an inspection in the suspect’s premises regarding the use of power in an unauthorized manner or theft of power.
- In case of any illegal activities identified, respective officer will file a complaint against the suspect.
- After the filing of complaint against the suspect, then the procedure of investigation is executed.
- An assessing officer will conduct an inspection in the suspect’s place and calculate the duration of the unauthorized use of electricity. If the officer is not able to calculate the duration of power theft, then the time period will be taken as 12 months.
- Depending on the mode of theft, officer will ask the suspect to pay the penalty/fine or confinement for the period of maximum 3years.
Note: Between the time of sunset and sunrise, no inspection should be conducted without the presence of adult male member in the occupying premises.
Apply Online: - Kerala Report Theft or Misuse of Power Online with Images
- To register a complaint about electricity theft click the following link: KSEB Complaint Registration
- Fill the complaint registration form with valid details and click “Submit Complaint”.
- After completion of complaint registration process, you will receive the complaint number.
- Use the complaint number to track the status of your complaint.
- Identity proof of the informant
- Electricity card
- Address proof
- Proof for the payment of EB bill
Office Locations & Contacts
Vigilance / APTS,:
Vydyuthi Bhavanam, Pattom
Kerala - 695004
Contact: + 91 - 471 - 2444554 / 2514564 / 2514374 / 2544594 / 2514591, +91-9446008006, 9446008490, 9446008491
Link for contact: KSEB vigilance contact.
Applicant who is facing issues like electricity theft or applicant having valid information about the electricity theft happening can report it.
It depends on the electricity board.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
It depends on the verification process.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- According to the Section 152, a person who has committed the offence of Theft of Electricity, can give a sum of money by way of compounding of the offence to any officer who is authorised to collect that sum of money.
- Industrial Service – INR 20,000
- Commercial Service – INR 10,000
- Agricultural Service – INR 2000
- Other Service – INR 4000
- Meter number
- Mode of theft
- Contact details
- Complete address
Need for the Document
- If you get excess amount of electricity bill, then you should report to the respective officer in the electricity board.
- It is necessary to complaint about electricity theft or misuse. Because it leads to electrical shock, fires and explosions.
- Electricity theft is an illegal and punishable offence.
Information which might help
- Theft of electricity means using unauthorised underground connections, tampering meter, using damaged meter and usage of electricity for illegal means.
- Conditions for punishment and fine:
- The Usage which equals to or is less than 10 kilowatts, the fine imposed shall be equal to the three times of the financial gain due to the theft of electricity at the first time. During second time, the fine shall be equal to six times of the financial gain due to the theft of electricity.
- The Usage which is of more than 10 kilowatts for the first time, then the fine amount will be 3 times of the financial gain due to theft of electricity
- The Usage which is of more than 10 kilowatts for the second time, then the fine amount will be 6 times of the financial gain and confinement for atleast 6months to 5 years, due to theft of electricity
- At the worst case, power supply will be cancelled for the period of 6 months to 2 years.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.