Kerala - Obtain a Permanent Vehicle (Car, Bike, Motorcycle) Registration
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Permanent registration is required for those vehicles which got registered temporarily.
Apply In-Person :
- For permanent registration a vehicle (Car, Bike, motorcycle) in Kerala the applicant has to approach the RTO office to which his area belongs to.
- Please follow our “Office Locations & Contacts” section of this page to get details of the RTO offices. Link for RTO contacts: Link for contact
- Application form can be downloaded using the following link: Form
- Forms link from Vahan : Link for Vahan forms information
- Application in form 20, 21, 22, 22 A is required. Application forms can be obtained from the following link : Form 20, Form 21 and Form 22
- Please make sure you have all the documents that are listed down the “Required Document” section of this page.
- Application forms can also be obtained from the appropriate RTO offices that can be completed and presented with appropriate fees.
- Present the completed application forms along with documents in one of the counter and pay the appropriate fee where the officials would start processing your application.
- Pencil tracing of engine chassis number is the activity to record the chassis number against the registration number in the RTO register
- Authorities will inspect the vehicle and announce the registration number
- Applicant can collect the registration certificate-RC on the day as informed by authorities
- Applications can also be made on-line through the following link : Online Application
- Fill the application form in the above given site ,upload required proofs, take printout of the application form including Acknowledgement form and go to nearest RTO office before 11:30 a.m.
- Temporary registration certificate (for permanent registration)
- Customs Clearance Certificate in the case of Imported Vehicles.
- Appropriate Fee as specified in Rule 81 of CMV Rules.
- Income Tax clearance certificate in form 60 or a declaration
- Sales certificate in Form 21 : Link for Form 21
- Road worthiness certificate in Form 22 : Link for Form 22 from the manufacturers. In Form 22A from the Body builder, if the vehicle is fabricated externally.
- Valid Insurance Certificate
- Proof of Address (attested copy)
- Aadhaar Card
- Pollution Under control Certificate.
- Original Sales Certificate from the concerned Authorities in Form 21 in the case of Ex_Army Vehicle.
- Pan card
- Passport size photos 3 copies.
Office Locations & Contacts
List of all RTO Office Locations in Kerala
Transport Commissionerate, Motor Vehicles Department, Kerala
2nd Floor, Trans Tower, CV Raman Pillai Rd,
DPI, Vazhuthacaud, Thiruvananthapuram,
Phone: 0471 233 3317
Location in Map
Following link will get RTO Contact details: Link for RTO Contact Info
- Dealer is eligible to apply on behalf of the owner of the vehicle.
- Registration of temporary registered vehicle - the owner may apply for registration.
- Fee related details are provided under the following link : Fees
- Fee related details provided under the Parivahan site by Ministry of Road Transport & Highways :Parivahan Fees Details
- In case of non-transport vehicles like two wheelers and cars, the registration certificate is valid for 15 years from the date of first registration and it is renewed after every five subsequent years.
- In case of transport vehicles like goods and passenger carriers the registration certificate is valid till certificate of fitness is valid.
Documents to Use
Forms to Use : Forms
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- It takes 5 working days
- Applicant can receive the RC within one week to 1 month
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Driving Licences are being issued by Motor Vehicles Department through Sub Regional Transport Offices.
The forms can be downloaded from the following link : License
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
- All the vehicles need to be registered as per the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988. The vehicles are provided with unique registration number. Once the vehicle is registered, a certificate is issued to the owner. The registration certificate is used as a proof for authorized owner of the vehicle.
- Permanent registration is required for the Temporary registered Vehicle.
- Vehicle registration's purpose is to establish clear ownership and to tax motorist or vehicle owners. It is a requirement by the state.
- After one registers his / her vehicle – He / She will receive a unique number to use it in number board.
- When a bike owned by an individual sold to another person – the name transfer has to be made with the authorities concerned
Information which might help
- One who wishes to sell his or her vehicle should make sure that the proper name transfer in RC is carried out
- FC (for clearance) is a process meant for reviewing the condition of the vehicle registered
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
A Driving Licence can be used as a proof for Identity.
Place some external links which might help
More information which might help people.