Kerala - Apply for Vacant Land Tax
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The applicant shall visit the nearby government office (corporation office, municipal office, panchayat office, etc) and submit the application for vacant land tax to the local authority. The commissioner or executive officer is the approval authority.
- Refer the office contact details in the “Office contacts & Locations” section below.
- The application for vacant land tax can be obtained in the office. It is an assessment of the land to calculate the tax to be levied on it.
- Please make sure you have all the documents listed in the “Required Documents” section of this page.
- Submit the application form along with the required documents.
- The Inspector, after receiving the information will validate the details with a field inspection. He modifies the information if required, reviews the details and if satisfied will forward it to the approval authority.
- After approval, the applicant can get confirmation at the office.
- Application form
- Photo of land with holder
- Attested copies of property documents
- Registered sale deed
- Patta certificate
- MRO Proceedings
- Will deed
- Decree document
- Registered document
- Two non-judicial stamp papers of Rs.10/- each
- Copy of death certificate/succession certificate/legal heir certificate
- Notarized Affidavit Cum Indemnity Bond On Rs.100 Stamp Paper
- Third Party Verification Copy
- Applicant’s passport size photo
- Identity proof (Aadhar card copy)
- EC copy (Encumbrance Certificate)
- LRS Regularization, if any
- Self addressed cover
- Letter of request
Advertise On This Page
Office Locations & Contacts
Kochi Municipal CorporationPB No-1016,
CochinErnakulam Dt-Kerala StatePin - 682011
Phone: 91-484-2369007, 23691962369143, 2369149, 2369197, 2369069
Fax: 91-484- 2369023
District Panchayat Office Thiruvananthapuram
near Kerala Public Service Commission head office,
Pattom, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala 695004
Contact details of municipalities and panchayat can be found in the following links
- The age of the applicant should be 18 years or above
- The applicant should be a citizen of India
- The applicant should be owner of a vacant land.
No fee is required to apply for vacant land tax.
It is valid till the owner owns the land.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
It takes 15 to 20 days to complete the assessment for tax.
Advertise On This Page
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.gIn the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- When agricultural land in urban areas is converted for non-agricultural purposes, tax shall be levied on vacant sites so that the owner cannot keep them vacant, but carry out constructions in the site.
- Prescribed Form should be used for the Application.
- Please fill the Application form completely and correctly.
- The owner of the vacant land should apply as soon as possible after acquiring the land.
- Property type
- Owner details
- Owner name
- Mobile number
- Email address
- Property address
- Zone No.
- Ward No.
- Block No.
- Survey No.
- Patta No.
- Vacant Land Area
- Current Market value
- Registered Document value
- Effective date
- Vacant Land Plot area
- Layout Approval authority
- Layout Permit date
- Layout Permit Number
- Details of surrounding boundaries of property in north, south, east and west.
- Patta certificate No. and date
- MRO proceeding No. And date
- Deed No. And date
- Correspondence address
Need for the Document
- If the owner of the vacant land does not register for vacant land tax and pay the tax amount, it will result in penalty.
- The vacant land tax is a source of revenue for the local government body.
Information which might help
- No need to apply for vacant land tax if the land is used for agricultural purposes. Agricultural lands are not considered as capital asset.
- If the land is not used for agriculture, then the owner must apply.
- The Vacant Land Tax (VLT) amount varies from state to state.
- If the land remains vacant for more than six months, the owner can apply for vacancy remission of property tax.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
After assessment and approval of the vacant land for tax, the owner can pay taxes till the construction of building in it. Proof of vacant land tax payment will be required in property tax assessment of building after construction.
Vacant Land Tax (VLT) comes under property tax or land tax. It is an annual tax paid to the local government bodies such as corporation (Nagar Nigam), municipal council (Nagar Palika) and Notified Area Council (Nagar Panchayat). The revenue section of the local government is responsible for taxes.