Kerala - Apply for Fishing License or Permit (Foreigners, Tourists)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Applicants must get their fishing gear such as fishing rods, nets, reels, fishing lines, hooks, vessels, etc registered with the Directorate of Fisheries of the state before applying for a fishing license or permit.
- Registration of fishing gear is a one-time activity.
- Applicants cannot apply for a fishing license or permit without registering their fishing gear first.
- Foreigners or tourists must apply for the fishing license or permit at the office of the Directorate, Department of Fishing, Kerala.
- Visit the following link for the contact and location details of the State Fisheries Department of Kerala: Link
- Collect the application form after visiting the office of the directorate, department of fisheries.
- Fill up the form completely as directed by the concerned authorities.
- Submit the printouts of all the required documents along with the application form.
- Give the complete details about your fishing activities such as the exact location(s), details about the water bodies you want to fish in to the authorized officials.
- Show the original copies of the required documents to the concerned authorities.
- After successful submission of the application form and the documents, pay the application fee.
- After validating the documents, the authorities will grant the license or permit for fishing.
- You will be required to visit the office of the directorate, department of fisheries to collect the license or permit.
- The fishing license/permit is not issued for 61 days during monsoon in India i.e June to September due to breeding and spawning of fish.
- In case you are a foreigner and want to fish in an area that is restricted for foreigners, you have to take special permission from the Ministry of Home Affairs, New Delhi, or the Foreigner’s Regional Registration Office (FRRO), or at the embassy of your country located in the state.
- Fishing license application form
- Passport, in case of a foreigner
- Visa, in case of a foreigner
- Identity Proof: Aadhaar Card / Passport / Driving License / Ration Card / Govt. Id card / Defence ID Card / PAN card.
- Residential Proof: Residential Certificate issued by Local administration office/ Aadhaar card / Passport / Driving License / Ration Card / Govt. Id card / Defence ID Card / PAN card.
- 2 Passport Size Photographs
- Complete details about the fishing activity
Advertise On This Page
Office Locations & Contacts
Directorate of Fisheries, Government of Kerala
E-mail: [email protected]
Location and Contact details of FRRO in India: Link
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure
- Application fee details shall be provided by the concerned licensing officer.
- A license or permit granted for fishing shall be valid for the period specified therein unless it is suspended or canceled earlier.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- A license or permit for fishing for Indian and foreign tourists will be granted within one working day.
Advertise On This Page
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
Before applying for a license or permit for fishing here are few things to keep in mind,
- No person should carry fishing activity in any trout waters, reserved waters, and protected waters bodies without obtaining a license or permit as it is punishable in terms of the law.
- Do not forget to release all the fish back into the water after fishing as it is offensive and the authorities keep count.
- Also, strictly follow the number of fish you are allowed to catch per day. Do not fish more than the specified number to avoid penalties.
- Do not kill any fish in the process of fishing.
- Do not use any explosives which may cause threats to the life of fishes in the water.
- Do not catch fishes that are prohibited for fishing for being rare or are on the verge of being extinct.
- For more information, visit the following link: Link
- Passport details, in case the applicant is a foreigner
- Visa details, in case the applicant is a foreigner
- Full name
- Permanent address
- Guardian’s Name, in case of a minor
- Area of operation
- Type of net used for fishing
- Purpose of visiting the state
Need for the Document
- The fishing license or permit is necessary as it helps the government to regulate the fishing activities within its territory.
- The license or permit helps the government to allow tourists to enjoy without harming the ecosystem.
Information which might help
- Under the Fisheries Act 1897 of India, any person, whether a citizen of India or a foreigner visiting India, desiring to fish in an area that is permitted for fishing by the government for the purpose of doing business or tourism must obtain a license or permit from the Department of Fisheries of the state they are visiting.
- Fishing license or permit was made mandatory to prevent threats to the fishes from human activities and also to protect and save the fishes that are rare or are in danger of being extinct in a proper environment.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Department of Fisheries, Government of India: Link
- Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India: Link
More information which might help people.