Kerala - Apply for Driver License (Car, Bike, Motorcycle)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Apply In-Person :
- To apply for a Permanent Driver License in Kerala the applicant has to approach the RTO office to which his area belongs to.
- Please follow our “Office Locations & Contacts” section of this page to get details of the RTO offices. Link for RTO contacts: Link for contact
- Application form can be downloaded using the following link: Form
- The applicant should make sure they are eligible (18 years and above, LLR minimum 30 days and maximum 180 days’ time..)
- Application Forms No4, No 1 A, No 1 is required. Application forms can be obtained from the following link : Form 4, Form 1A and Form
- The applicant should make sure they are eligible for applying by reading through the eligibility criteria that has been listed out under the “Eligibility” section of this page.
- Please make sure you have all the documents that are listed down the “Required Document” section of this page.
- Application forms can be obtained from the appropriate RTO offices that should be completed and presented with appropriate fees.
- Present the completed application forms in one of the counter and pay the appropriate fee where the officials would start processing your application.
- Applicant has to qualify the drive test. Applicant on successful completion of test drive will be asked to get photographed for the license copy and to imprint finger prints. Applicant will get the License.
- Note: If the applicant failed in driving test, can reappear for the driving test as per the authorities advice
Application status online :
- Please use the link : Link
- Click License under Application status option
- In the following screen please fill / select prompted details and hit “Search” to process your application online
Appointment for drive test (state portal) :
- Please use the link : Appointment
- Click DL Test Date Change under Apply Online
- In the following screen please fill / select prompted details and hit “get” to process your request online
Apply Online : - Kerala Apply for driver license online with Images
- First one has to make sure that all the required documents are in hand to apply online.
- In order to apply for online, please follow the link : online portal
- Please select "Online Services" from the menu and click on "Driver License Related Services".
- You will be taken to a new screen where you have to select “Kerala” in the drop down menu against “Please select the State from where the service is to be taken”.
- In the next window, please click “Apply Online” to select “New Driving License” option
- The following screen gives you the general information to apply. Here please hit “Continue” to get the next screen. Please select and enter appropriate option and click “OK” to get the new page to apply online by filling the prompted details and click “submit” at the bottom of the form to process the application.
- Please take printout of Acknowledgement
- Go to the RTO office with acknowledgement and application form and pay the fees and submit the document at the right counter to process further
- You can take printout of online application form with the help of the link : online portal link
- Select “Kerala” in the drop down menu against “Please select the State from where the service is to be taken”
- In the next window, please click “Download Forms” to select “Print application form” option
- Please enter your application number in the next window and hit ”Submit” follow the next window to get the printout.
- You can book appointment with RTO using the following link online appointment link
- Please click “Appointment (Slot Booking)” to select “Driving skill Test” option
- In the new window select appropriate option to process your request to book appointment.
- Application Forms No4, No 1 A, No 1 is required. Application forms can be obtained from the following link : Application form, Form 1A andForm
- Form 15 (those who have undergone training in a Driving School)
- Documents of vehicle in which applicant proposes to appear for test of competence to drive (such as Registration Certificate, Insurance Certificate, Tax Card, Pollution under Control Certificate).
- Consent letter affixed with 2Rs stamp from vehicle owner to conduct driving test in his vehicle, if the vehicle is not owned by the applicant.
- Passport size photographs-4 copies.
- Valid Learner's License held by the applicant for the relevant class, which is older than 30 days.
- Applicants for Transport Vehicle License should enclose a Training Certificate in Form No. 5 issued by a recognized driving school.
- Original Learners License (LLR)
- Aadhaar card
Office Locations & Contacts
List of all RTO Office Locations in Kerala
Transport Commissionerate, Motor Vehicles Department, Kerala
2nd Floor, Trans Tower, CV Raman Pillai Rd,
DPI, Vazhuthacaud, Thiruvananthapuram,
Phone: 0471 233 3317
Location in Map
Following link will get RTO Contact details: Link for RTO Contact Info
- For driving motorcycle without gear, a candidate must have completed 16 years.
- For other vehicles, they must have completed 18 years.
- For Transport vehicles driving they should have completed 20 years.
- You should have a valid learner’s license (LLR).
- You should apply after 30 days and within 180 days from the date of issuance of learners license (LLR).
- A person who is at least 20 years old and possesses a Learners License can obtain a License for driving a commercial vehicle. Also, one has to be conversant with the traffic rules and regulations in all the cases
Fee related details are provided under the following link : Fees
- Driving licence issued is valid throughout India.
- Driving licence is issued for 20 years or 50 years of age whichever is earlier.
- Driving licence issued for transport vehicle will be valid for three years.
Documents to Use
Forms to Use : Forms
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
After completion of driving test, the Licence will be issued on the same day or within a week’s time.
Kerala - Apply for Driver License (Car, Bike, Motorcycle)
Kerala - Online Apply for Driver License (Car, Bike, Motorcycle)
- Concerned Department
Driving Licences are being issued by Motor Vehicles Department through Sub Regional Transport Offices.
The forms can be downloaded from the following link Form
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
- A driving license is an official document that states, a person may operate one or more types of motorized vehicles, such as a motorcycle, car, truck, or a bus, on a public roadway.
- Under the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 in India, no person can drive a motor vehicle in any public place unless he holds a valid Driving License issued to him, authorizing him to drive a vehicle of that particular category.
- Driving without Driving license is an offense. Incumbent has to pay penalty
Information which might help
- It is a punishable offense to drive the vehicle without a valid license
- Those who are under 18 Years are not supposed to drive
- RTO officials has the right to decide upon the issue of license
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
A Driving Licence can be used as a proof for Identity.
Place some external links which might help
More information which might help people.