Italy - Transfer Ownership of a Vehicle
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Clear the title from any liens. This is done when the car has been taken off a loan as collateral. Some financial institutions will not give a clear title without receiving the money owed on the loan. In this case, the buyer may have to meet you at the agency to pay the money and receive a document clearing the title.
- Sign the title as a seller and date it. Write in the mileage of the car as the seller. It is important that the mileage is accurate to transfer the title.
- Give the title and the lien release paper to the buyer. The buyer will then take the title and clear lien document to the motor vehicle to have the title transferred into his name.
- Signing the title releases the seller from any further occurrences with the car. This is important before allowing the car out of your presence.
- Taking the title to the motor vehicle department for registration is the responsibility of the buyer once he has all the paperwork and the title to the car.
The following documents are required for the transfer of ownership of a used car:
- An act of sale (Atto di Vendita)
- The vehicle documents (Certificato di Propriet)
- Car registration certificate (Carta di Circolazione)
- EU nationals must supply a Residence Certificate (Certificato di Residenza)
- The personal tax codes of the buyer and seller (Codice Fiscale)
- Non-EU Nationals need to supply a copy of their Residence Permit (Certificato di Residenza)
Office Locations & Contacts
To find a local Agenzie di Pratiche Auto:Click here and enter region and town name (in Italian)
Failure to register the change of ownership within 60 days means the former owner remains de facto proprietor of the car on the public car registry and will continue to be held responsible for non-payment of taxes, accidents caused, or infringements of the Highway Code (Codice della Strada).
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
When transferring ownership of a car, you will need a clear title. Sometimes people try to sell a car that has a lien on it and the buyer is unable to register the car without having the title cleared. The responsibility of clearing the title lies with the owner who is transferring the title to another person. Clearing the title of the car and transferring it to another person can take a matter of minutes or, in some cases, it can take days.
- Names of the previous owner and his or her address
- Names of the acquiring owner
- Names of the witness
- Tax Identification Number
- Vehicle details (date of first registration, make, model etc)
- Registered keeper
- Vehicle insurance details
- Inspection results
- Any vehicle modifications
- Payment Details
- Licence Status
Need for the Document
Once youve bought a vehicle in Italy, youll need to go to the Italian Automobile Club Public Registry Office (Automobile Club Italiano Pubblico Registro Automoblistico) with the cars owner and transfer ownership.
Youll also have to pay an ownership transfer fee. Always do this yourself and if possible, bring along an Italian native or someone who understands the process well just in case you make a mistake. The Agenzie di Pratiche Auto can also help if youre in doubt.
Information which might help
If you buy the car from a dealer, they will complete the transfer for you.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
There is a 60-day time limit in which to register the change of ownership (passaggio di propriet) and bring the car's registration certificate up to date.
The dealership should take care of all other paperwork, but if youre unsure, you can go to the Agenzie di Pratiche Auto for help. Their fees will be included in the cost of the new car.