Indonesia - Loss of Citizenship
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The application for loss of citizenship must be submitted in the form of writing by the concerned party to the President via the Minister. It should be in Indonesian language, written on a piece of paper.
- The application is delivered to the Indonesian Representative whose field of work involves the residence of the applicant, with the required documents stated below.
- For incomplete applications, the Indonesian representative returns them to the applicant no later than 14 (fourteen) days after the date the application was received. For complete applications, the Indonesian Representative delivers the application to the Minister no later than 2 (two) months after the date the complete application was received.
- After the Minister checks the application, incomplete applications are returned to the Indonesian Representative no later than 14 (days) after the date the application was received to be completed. For complete applications, the Minister forwards the application to the President no later than 14 (fourteen) days after the date the application was received. The President decides on the loss of Indonesian citizenship, and the Indonesian Representative delivers the decision to the applicant in no later than 7 (seven) days after the date of receiving the Presidents Decision.
- Photocopy of birth certificate or document that proves the birth of the applicant that has been legalized by the Indonesian Representative Head
- Photocopy of marriage certificate, excerpt of divorce papers/divorce letter or excerpt of death certificate of spouse of the applicant for those who are not 18 (eighteen) years of age yet but already married that has been legalized by the Indonesian Representative Head
- Photocopy of Indonesian Travel Documents or Identification Card that has been legalized by the Indonesian Representative Head
- Letter from the representative of the foreign country stating that with the loss of the Indonesian citizen, the applicant will become a citizen of that foreign country and
- 6 (six) recent 4x6 centimeter colored passport photos.
Office Locations & Contacts
Department of Population and Civil Registration Regional Service Offices
Jl. S. Parman No. 7, Jakarta Barat
Tel. Nos.: 5666241, 5681118
Contacts : http://www.jakarta.go.id/eng/no_penting
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
- full name
- place and date of birth
- home address
- marital status
- reason for the application
Need for the Document
There are two general means that an Indonesian citizen loses his citizenship. It could either be an automatic loss or loss by application.
According to Law No. 12 of 2006 Article 23 as regulated in Government Regulation No. 2 of 2007 Article 31, an Indonesian citizen automatically loses his citizenship because of:
- Obtaining another citizenship on his own.
- Not refusing or releasing another citizenship, while the person in this case has the opportunity to.
- Joins the foreign military service without permission from the President first.
- Voluntarily joins the foreign military service when such a position in Indonesia according to the provisions of the laws and regulations can only be held by an Indonesian Citizen (civil servants, state officials, and intelligence).
- Voluntarily swears or promises to a foreign nation or part of this foreign nation (the concerned nation is in foreign jurisdiction).
- Not required but ready to participate in the elections of something constitutional for a foreign nation.
- Has a passport or document valid as a passport from a foreign nation or this document is valid as citizenship in another country under his name; or
- Has resided outside of Indonesia for 5 (five) years continuously, excluding national service, without legitimate reasons and intentionally does not state the desire to remain an Indonesian citizen before the end of 5 (five) years (a legitimate reason is a reason caused by conditions that are out of our control to the point that the person is unable to state the desire to remain an Indonesian citizen, among others because the of mobility limitations, passport is not in possession, information from the official was not received).
The loss of citizenship by an Indonesian citizen at his own request is declared by the President, if the concerned party is already 18 (eighteen) years of age or already married, resides overseas and this declaration of the loss of Indonesian citizenship does not occur without another citizenship.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.