Indonesia - Convert or Exchange Foreign Driver License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Driver license related information are handled by police department in Indonesia. Please choose the appropriate SIM centre near the area where you live to get your foreign driver license exchanged or converted. Information about SIM centers are provided under section "Office Locations & Contacts" of this page.
- Approach the appropriate office where they would validate your documents and take some pictures.
- You will be asked to pay appropriate fees and you will be provided with your driver license.
- Copy of your Passport
- Original Passport
- Bank Slip
- Original valid KITAS (Temporary Stay Permit) card
- Valid Indonesian driver's license, foreign driver's license, or international driver's license
- Copy of your Indonesian visa
- your expired SIM (if youre extending)
- Health certificate from the doctor
- Photocopy of your KITAS card
- Photocopy of your current driver's license (from your home country)
Following documents may also be asked.
- Sponsor letter from your company/sponsor (with stamp)
- Copy of Blue Book / POA
- Copy of your STM - an STM (Surat Tanda Melapor) is a Police certificate which indicates where a foreigner, whether resident or tourist, is residing and for the residing time duration.
- Copy of your SKLD - an SKLD (Surat Keterangan Lapor Diri) is applicable for any KITAS or KITAP visa holder. It is a report to the police of your arrival and must be made within 30 days of arrival.
- Copy of your SKTT - an SKTT (Surat Keterangan Tempat Tinggal) is a certificate of your place of residence and it must be obtained from the Sub-district Office (Kantor Kelurahan) in your area. This certificate is needed when applying for the SKLD, above, at the police department.
- Personal letter stating your height, weight, body details, mother's and father's names (no stamp needed).
Office Locations & Contacts
Lower end of the page in the following link has a option Select the location you want SIM services which will display information about nearest office where the application can be made, since all the police offices will not process all requests, please make sure you pick the right police office to approach : Police Office Locations
You could also call the following number which is a police call centre for information in Indonesia: 110.
The minimum age for both the motorbike license (SIM C) and the car license (SIM A) is 17 years old.
SIM A: new issuance IDR 120.000, renewal: IDR 80.000
SIM C: new issuance IDR 100.000, renewal: IDR 75.000
SIM International: new issuance: IDR 250.000, renewal: IDR 225.000
Following link provides information about fees in the lower end of the page : Fee Information
For foreigners, a drivers license is only valid for the length of your Indonesian visa.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- If youre on a one year KITAS (or Work Visa), then you get a one year license for either a car (SIM A) or motorbike (SIM C). If youre on a 30-day tourist visa then you can only get a drivers license that is valid for 30 days.
- Furthermore, tourists can only apply for an Indonesian motorbike license and NOT a car license. If youre here for a short time only, then it might be easier to get yourself an International drivers license before travelling.
- Following link gives you information about International Driver License acceptance in various countries : International Driver Permit Recognition
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
This procedure provides you information about how to convert or exchange a foreign driver license to Indonesian driver license.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help
More information which might help people.