Wikiprocedure > Indonesia

Indonesia - Change Your Name (Deed Poll)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


According to The Indonesian Civil, Populations and administration law, the legal proceedings to change a person's name is conducted by filing a legal petition to the local Indonesian district court. Since there are numerous rights and obligations that is tight directly with a person's name, either civil or private rights, which in turn emphasized the applicant to file for a legal petition at the local Indonesian district court.

Furthermore, after the submitted legal application to the Indonesian district court has been granted, the applicant or the attorney must submitted the court order to The Civil Registry Office within thirty (30) days, since the applicant or the attorney has received the court order from The Indonesian District Court.

Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

  • The original court order; Obtained from The Local Indonesian District Court
  • The original birth certificate
  • Marital Certificate; if the applicant has been previously married
  • The original family card
  • The Original ID Card

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Directorate General of Population and Civil Registration
Ministry of Interior of the Republic of Indonesia
Jl. Kalibata Heroes Cemetery No. 17
South Jakarta 12750
Phone: 021-79194075 (Hunting)
Fax: 021-7980655, 7949770
P.O. Box 7271 / Jkpsm / 12072
Help Desk:
DG Helpdesk Service dept (Call Center: 02,130,493,838)
Contact Info

Ministry of Justice and Human Rights

Ads by Google


In Indonesia, there are many specific or personal reasons why a person would like to change their birth name. Changing a person's birth name must be conducted in accordance with the law and regulations in effect, in order to make the whole process legally acknowledged by the law.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links

Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Ads by Google


In general terms, a person's name can be considered as his or her general identity, which represents and strictly related upon every detail that the person's may have either social, civil status or other related legal status. In Indonesia, a person's name can be changed legally by submitting a legal petition to the related Indonesian district court, for the purpose of changing his/her name.

Required Information[edit]

  • Your name as listed on birth certificate or immigration or citizenship documents.
  • The full name you are applying to change to (if you are changing your name).
  • Date and place of birth
  • Marital status and details
  • Places of residence for last three months
  • Address for Correspondence

Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

If you are using, or wish to use, a name other than your registered name, there is no legal requirement that you formally change your name. It is, however, recommended that you change your name officially, both for identification and as evidence of your name change.

Name change generally refers to the legal act by a person of adopting a name different from their name at birth, marriage or adoption. The procedures and ease of a name change vary between jurisdictions.

Information which might help[edit]

How you should go about changing your name will depend upon which category you fit into. Changing your name after marriage or divorce is quite a simple process, while changing your name 'just because' requires a little more effort, but it is still quite straight forward and a lot easier than it used to be.

To change your name, submit a petition to your local Superior Court that details the reasons you'd like to change your name. After the court approves your request, you'll then need to update your Social Security card, driver's license and passport.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

You may want to change your name because:

  • You have just gotten married
  • You have divorced
  • You just want a change
  • In case of adoption

External Links[edit]

Government Portal

Directorate General of Population and Civil Registration - Ministry of Interior

Ministry of Justice and Human Rights

Supreme Court of Indonesia

Ads by Google
Ads by Google


The most important thing to do to legally change your name is to start using your new name. Introduce yourself using your new name, fill out forms and applications under your new name, tell all of your family and friends to only refer to you using your new name, and tell your school and/or employer of your new name.

If you wish to be known by a different name you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure to follow in order to change a name. You simply start using the new name. You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

Although there is no legal way to change a name, you may want evidence that you have changed your name. However, you cannot change details on your birth certificate, except in limited circumstances.

Once you have decided to change your name, you can use the new name for all purposes, for example, publishing marriage bans, legal proceedings and obtaining, or changing details on a driving licence or passport.