India - Register as Voter
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Applicant can reach nearest electoral office (EO) or appropriate BLO Officer and collect a copy of Form 6, for inclusion of name in the electoral roll.
- Link for contacts: link2 for locating offices
- Application form can be obtained from the respective office OR can be obtain online, please click download tab in the following Online link for form6 (Hindi / English) : link
- Go to the respective office. Submit the completed application form along with the required documents to the receiving officer for registration.
- On receiving the application, an acknowledgement will be issued in the form of an application reference number, which can be used to track the application status.
- Once the internal process is initiated, a Booth Level Officer (BLO) will visit the premises as per address provided on the application and make verification of the submitted details to clarify.
- Upon successful verification, the voter ID card will be dispatched by post to the address mentioned in the application form.
Apply through Online Portal - India Register as Voter Online with Images
- Go to the online website. Link for site : link
- In the given new window, click “login/register” under “Login/Register to Avail following Facilities”
- Here use the “Don’t have account, register…..” option to register and then provide user name and password to login.
- Once login, in the given page choose the option for registering as new voter to reach next page.
- Applicant has to enter/select the details as prompted for.
- Then, upload the required documents and finally hit respective tab to submit.
- On submission, a reference number will be generated that serves as a receipt as well as helps in tracking the status. Please keep it safe for future reference.
- The internal process will be initiated and a Booth Level Officer (BLO) will visit applicant premises as per address provided on application to verify the details.
- On successful completion, the voter id will be dispatched to the address mentioned while applying.
- In some states applicant shall approach over the counter services like CSC centres/e-seva etc to apply.
- In some states applicant shall apply using the respective state department online portal.
- Find the contact details and application form from the respective state portal procedures by using the link provided under respective states below.
Please select the state name for respective State Procedure.
Andaman and Nicobar – Andhra Pradesh – Arunachal Pradesh – Assam – Bihar – Chandigarh – Chhattisgarh – Daman and Diu – Goa - Gujarat – Haryana – Himachal Pradesh – Jammu and Kashmir – Jharkhand – Karnataka – Kerala – Lakshadweep – Madhya Pradesh – Maharashtra – Manipur – Meghalaya – Mizoram – Nagaland – New Delhi – Odisha – Puducherry – Punjab – Rajasthan – Sikkim – Nadu – Telangana – Tripura – Uttar Pradesh – Uttarakhand – West Bengal
- Application form. Link for online application, please click download tab in the following online link for form6 (Hindi / English) : link
- Passport size photograph
- Ration Card (or)
- Driving License (or)
- Birth Certificate (or)
- School/College Certificate
- Aadhar card
- All original and copy of original with self attestation as advised by respective authorities to be submitted as per requirement.
- Apart from the above documents authorities may ask to submit additional information or documents. Please provide them for processing.
Office Locations & Contacts
Election commission of India,
NirvachanSadan, Ashoka Road, New Delhi 110001.
EPABX: 23052205 - 10, 23052212 - 18, 23052146, 23052148, 23052150
For contact details : online link
- The citizens of India who crossed 18 years of age are eligible to vote in elections in India.
- The electoral officers regularly add people who are 18 years old into the voter list.
No Fees required, if you are getting a voter ID card for the first time.
Voter ID card is valid FOREVER.
Documents to Use
Application form can also be obtained from the following link : Application Forms
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- It takes 5 to 7 weeks to receive voter ID.
- If you do not receive a registration card in the mail, contact your state election office to confirm you are registered.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
India is the largest democracy in the world. Your vote is your voice. If you don’t exercise the right to vote, you’ll be a hypocrite when you complain about politics. Voting is our chance to make a difference in our own lives and within the world.
There are two ways of applying for Voter ID Card
- Method 1: Voter ID card Online Registration
- Method 2: Submission of Form 6 directly at EPIC Office
- Name (With Documentary Proof)
- Age (With Documentary Proof)
- Date of Birth (With Documentary Proof)
- Place of Birth, Relations Name
- Place of Ordinary Residence
- Details of Family Members Already Included in the Electoral Roll
Need for the Document
- Voter ID card or Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC) is an identification card issued by the Election Commission to all eligible voters, to enable voter identification on Election Day.
- All Indian citizens who are above 18 years of age are having their rights to franchise their rights to vote. One can’t vote without a valid Voter ID.
- Voter Id is considered as one of the document for applying Pan Card, Ration Card, Driving License etc.
Information which might help
- A person cannot be enrolled as a voter in more than one place in the same constituency or in more than one constituency in view of the provisions contained under Sec. 17 and 18 of R. P. Act, 1950.
- Your Voter ID card serves as general purpose identity proof, address proof and age proof such as buying a mobile phone SIM or applying for a Passport
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people.