India - Paying Income Tax
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- If you are an Employee of a company, your employer provides a Form 16.
- If you are into business or a senior citizen, consult your tax consultant or a finance official to provide FORM 16.
- Carry the investment proofs, application form, and 2 passport size photographs, to the nearby Income tax office.
- You can pay the tax in the designated counters before the date of submission. You can pay the late fee with a service charge after the due date.
- Enter the URL www.incometaxindia.gov.in by using a browser such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome etc.
- Click Pay Taxes Online -> Pay Tax Online from the left side menu. A pop-op window shows up to take you to an outside of the existing webpage. Click OK.
- You will be navigated to a webpage www.onlineservices.tin.nsdl.com. If this is your first visit, an error message is displayed with This Connection is Untrusted. But, dont panic.
- Click I Understand the Risks.
- Click Add Exception.
- In the Add Security Exceptionwindow, click Confirm Security Exception. You are now in the epayment page.
- Select the appropriate challan form.
- Fill the particulars and click Proceed. Make sure that all the fields marked with * is mandatory. You should know the TAN number before you fill the form.
- In the payment page, select the mode of payment. For example, credit card, debit card, Net Banking.
For Net Banking
- Select the respective bank and click OK. The Net Banking page is opened.
- Enter the Customer id and Password. Click OK. You will receive an OTP (One Time Password) for security reasons, if you have registered your mobile in the bank records.
- Enter the OTP and then click OK. Wait for the payment to process.The page is processed and the amount is debited from your bank account.You will get the acknowledgement immediately and an email with the similar information is sent to your email id.
For Credit Card / Debit Card
- Enter the 16 digit card number.
- Choose the card type Master, Visa.
- Enter the card expiry date in dd/yy format.
- Enter the CVV (CVV is present at the back of the card). Usually, a CVV is a 3 digit number.
- Enter the password for transaction. If you forget the password, click Forgot Password. An OTP is sent to your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP and click OK. The page refreshes and asks you to enter a new password and then repeat the same password.
- Click OK. Your payment is made and a receipt is generated instantly.
The following documents are required.
- Your identity documents such as PAN card, Drivers License, Aadhar Card
- Proof of residence such as Voters card, Electricity Bill, Telephone Bill
- Savings and Investment documents
- Passport Size Photographs
- Aadhaar Card
Office Locations & Contacts
You can contact the Directorate of Income Tax at email@example.com.
For more information, please visit http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/contactus.asp.
To pay the income tax, you should complete at least 18 years of age and your salary should fall under the tax bracket of income tax.
The service is free of charge if you are paying on your own. If your tax consultant is paying the tax, you should pay the service charge to him/her/firm.
One should pay the income tax only when they earn money and if you fall under the tax bracket. If you do not fall under the tax bracket in a year and if you do not earn money for a year, you do not need to pay income tax. This information may vary from time to time.
Documents to Use
Please visit https://onlineservices.tin.egov-nsdl.com/etaxnew/tdsnontds.jsp to choose the respective form.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Your application will be processed by the governing authorities in a central location. Normally, the complete process will take 4 to 6 months. But, due to large volume of applications received by the income tax department, the process may take a year. But, you will receive notifications about the application from time to time on your registered email id. You can also verify the status of your application online.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You can pay income tax by using various resources.
- You should be a registered user to pay the income tax online.
- You should manually complete the application forms and submit in the registered offices before the date of submission every year.
- You can also pay the advance income tax during December of every year.
- You should consult a chartered accountant or finance official to pay the income tax.
- If you have paid excessive income tax or less income tax, you should also file the income tax returns every year.
- You can file the income tax returns online.
- You should have savings to pay less income tax.
The following information is required to complete the application form.
- Full Name
- Middle Name
- Fathers Name
- Date of Birth
- Email Id
- PAN Number
- Savings Bank Account Number
- Employee/ Business/ Senior Citizen/Consultant
Need for the Document
The Government of India levies income tax on taxable income of all people including individuals, businessmen, employees, self-employed, and senior citizens. Whether you receive money from various resources, you should pay the income tax to the government. The Indian Income Tax department is part of the Department of Revenue under the Ministry of Finance, Government of India. Under the Income Tax Act, every assessee has to pay the income tax at the rates fixed by the Financial Act. These rates may or may not vary every year.
Information which might help
Tax Bracket is a division that tax rates changes in a tax system. The rates are cutoff values for taxable income. For every Financial Year from Apr Mar, income tax slab rates may or may not vary. For more information on the taxable income, please see: http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/Archive/Taxation_Of_Salaried_Employees_18062012.pdf
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. E.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Income Tax India Rules and Regulations http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/home.asp
Tax Information Network https://www.tin-nsdl.com/oltas/oltas-challan.php
More Information about Your Tax Credit http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/26ASTaxCreditStatement.asp
More information which might help people.