India - Open a Bank Account
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- You can Walk into any Bank branch Ask for the bank account application form in the respective counter.
- Complete the application and attach the requisite documents as mentioned in the application form.
- Attach two to three passport size photographs where it is asked for it.
- Make sure that the application form is complete with supportive documents including your signature. Remember this signature as you are going to use it for all your transactions. If your signature is invalid, you cannot withdraw, deposit funds.
- Submit the application.
- The executive thoroughly verifies the application, you may be provided with an acknowledgement. Keep the acknowledgement handy.
- In a day or two, your account is opened and you will either be given a check book and passbook. Depends on the state where you live, if your bank provides debit card facility, you will be given a debit card, a check book, debit card personal identification number (PIN), internet baking personal identification number (IPIN). You should change the passwords at the first attempt to avoid misuse.
- Register your mobile number to receive One Time Passwords (OTP), transaction messages,
The following documents are required:
- Your identity documents such as Permanent Account Number (PAN), Ration card, Aadhar Card
- Proof of residence such as Voters card, Electricity Bill, Telephone Bill, Passport, driving license
- Passport size photographs
- Completed application form including signature
- Aadhaar Card
Office Locations & Contacts
State Bank of India
State Bank of Hyderabad
Punjab National Bank
Bank of Baroda
Bank of India
Bank of Maharashtra
Central Bank of India
Indian Overseas Bank
Oriental Bank of Commerce
Union Bank of India
United Bank of India
Punjab and Sind Bank
You should have valid address proof and identity proof documents to open a bank account.
You can open a bank account in any nationalized bank with minimal account varies from INR 500 to INR 1000. The amount varies from bank to bank and state to state. In addition, if you are availing only passbook, the charges are different. If you are availing the debit card facility with check book, the charges are different.
Your validity of savings account in any nationalized bank is lifetime. But, if you do not make any transactions for a long time, according to RBI rules, your account status will be converted to dormant.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
If your application is fair and complete, the processing time will be less than 7 working days.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You can open a bank account by applying in person
- You should have valid documents such as ration card, pan card, voter id card
- You should complete the application forms manually or apply online and submit in the bank
- The applicant should submit two to three passport size photographs with the application
- Bank verifies the data and your account will be opened within 7 days
- Some banks will insist for introductory and some others do not
- Enquire in the bank where you are applying
- Full Name of the applicant
- Applicants Date of birth
- Fathers Name
- Email Id
- Address for communication including temporary and permanent
- Passport Size photographs of the applicant
- Photocopy of address proof such as electricity bill, ration card
- Photocopy of identity such as PAN card, Aadhar card
Need for the Document
Your hard earned money cannot be kept with you wherever you live and it is not safest way. Your money should be kept safe and you require a Bank account in nationalized banks such as State Bank of India, State Bank of Hyderabad, Indian Bank, Andhra Bank, Canara Bank etc. All the nationalized banks follow the instructions according to Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
There are various nationalized banks available in the country and depends on the state, each bank exists.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
You can deposit, withdraw, and transfer funds using your bank account. Also, your bank account can be used as address proof for various services. If you are applying for VISA, your account statement is useful for a period of 6 months. If you are availing loan, your transactional history is very much useful.
Reserve Bank of India
More information which might help people.