India - Obtain an Emergency Certificate or Travel Document (EC)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
EC is issued to those citizens of India to whom a new passport cannot be issued.
- Applicant shall apply in person with the local consulate.
- Contact your consulate over the phone and fix appointment for your visit.
- Please obtain the application form through consulate portal. Please fine one such document : link
- Complete the application form, attach required copy of document. Make sure you have all the documents in original for cross verification.
- Also make the payment as advised by the authority for this purpose as a[applicable and get the proof of payment in hand.
- Please make two copies of your entire set of document for applying
- On the appointment date go to the office meet the authority and submit your application along with required documents and follow authorities guidelines.
- Submitted details will be verified by the authorities. If all are in place, application will be accepted.
- Applicant gets acknowledgement for the submitted application. Keep it safe for future reference.
- This application will be processed by the respective department. This request will be referred to the concerned authorities in India and EC would be issued only after receiving confirmation/clearance from them as per applicable delivery norms.
- There are online form filling facilities available in certain country for applicant’s benefit.
- Completed application form
- Filled-in Personal Particulars Form with a passport size photograph affixed
- Original and a photocopy of the Indian passport (if passport available)
- Photocopy of the passport (if passport lost)
- Self attested copy of the residence proof [Driving License, Utility Bill (Gas, Electricity, Water or Landline Telephone), Lease Agreement, State Identification Card, and Mortgage Deed].
- If the applicant doesn’t have any of these documents, he may submit notarized copy of any of these documents of a person with whom he is staying and also a letter from that person stating the duration for which the individual is staying with him
- Two passport size photographs
- Self attested copy of the police report in case of loss/stolen/misplaced passport. The police reportmust have name of the applicantand a reference to the loss of passport.
- A letter on a plain paper addressed to the Consulate General of India
- Aadhaar Card
Office Locations & Contacts
PSP Division, Ministry of External Affairs,
Room No. 8, Patiala House, TilakMarg,
New Delhi – 110001.
Tel. No.: +91 11 23387013/23384536
Fax No.: +91-11-23071370
Contact link: link
- For Emergency Certificate you must be Indian Citizen.
- Validity of Indian passport has expired and the applicant has no valid and legal visa status
- Passport is lost/stolen/damaged/misplaced and not traceable and the applicant is no valid and legal visa status
- A non-refundable fee of $ 15 (Fifteen) or equivalent Amount.
- Note:Fees should be paid through Money order or Cashiers’ cheque drawn in favor of the ‘Consulate General of India, “city”’. Personal Cheques, Credit Cards, Debit Card or other banking instruments are not accepted.
Emergency Certificate or Travel document is one way travel document there is no validity.
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- 7 days.
- In need of emergency, applicant will be provided with EC little earlier
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- If Indian citizen does not possess any travel document and there is an emergency to go to India, Emergency Certificate service can be availed.
- Emergency certificate (EC) is a one-way travel document to India;
- EC can be issued only on an individual formal request.
- It is mandatory for an individual requesting an EC to apply in- person at the Consulate. Mailing facility is not available for issuing EC.
- EC is issued to those citizens of India to whom a new passport cannot be issued because of pending verification from India.
- EC is issued to those Indian nationals who have either been refused passport, whose passports have been lost, stolen or damaged; whose passports have been impounded/revoked, whose passports have remained expired for a long time; or who are under orders of deportation.
- EC is issued primarily to facilitate the individuals return to India in an emergency.
- EC can be issued only when the individual Indian nationality is confirmed.
- If an individual is under orders of deportation, the application should be submitted through the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement/Department of Homeland Security. The EC will be delivered to the agency concerned and not to an agent or third party.
Applying In Person only (No mail application admitted):
- Applicants should bring in their application to the counter on the date of appointment. A limited number of applicants are given appointment on a specific date between 10.00AM -12:30PM. Service is on first come first serve basis.
- Carry originals of all the supporting documents to be presented to the Consular Officer (photocopies of which are to be attached with the application). In case you are not able to present the original documents at the counter, bring notarized copy of documents being attached to the application.
- Ensure that notarized copies are legible, otherwise the Consulate may ask to see original documents.
- Name of the applicant
- Father / Husband Name
- Date & Place of Birth
- Current Address in present country
- Permanent Address in India
- Color of Eyes
- Color of Hair
- Visible Identification Marks
- Passport Number
- Passport Issue Place
- Date of Issue and Validity
- Exact date of loss of Passport
- EXACT DATE OF LODGING LOSS OF PASSPORT WITH THE LOCAL POLICE
- EXACT DATE FROM WHICH THE APPLICANT HAS BEEN RESIDING ABROAD
Need for the Document
- Emergency Certificate is a one-way travel document that authorizes an Indian Citizen to enter India in an emergency.
- Emergency Certificate is issued to individuals who have lost their passports,their passports have been stolen or damaged.
- Emergency Certificate is issued only when a new passport cannot be issued without approval from India.
Information which might help
In case you are not able to present the original documents at the counter, bring notarized copy of documents being attached to the application. Ensure that notarized copies are legible, otherwise the Consulate may ask to see original documents.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.