India - Obtain a Disability Card
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- To obtain a ID card for disabled, applicant has to contact the “Superintendent/In-Charge of Medical Colleges & Hospitals and Civil Hospitals/CHCs/PHCs/SHCs/SDs.” Applicable for their respective area with the documents.
- Please use the link :link and select the state name from the drop down list similarly the district name and hit go to get contact details.
- Apply in writing or use the application form as per the following link: Form link
- Please submit the completed application along with required documents to the authority. After validation and checking of the document is done, further process will be carried out.
- Applicant has to follow the guidelines and instruction to complete the department process for considering the application to grant a card.
- Finally Disability Card will be provided by the respective “District Social Security Office”.
- Note: Respective state’s Director General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare will be the final authority to issue the ID card based on the documents.
Following listed information provides you details on who needs to be approached for getting appropriate certificate.
- Children below 12 years and suffering from mental retardation may be certified of their disability either by a neurologist, pediatric, psychiatrist and visually challenged will be so certified by an ophthalmologist.
- Applicants may use the application form allotted for a specific disability and submit the forms at the government hospital or public health centres.
- Those applicants with amputation or severe paralysis, and irreversible disabilities are required to get medical certificate from concerned medical practitioner at the government hospital or the primary health centre.
- Those with multiple disabilities will be certified by a medical board constituted of three doctors, with one of the doctors competent in the field of one of the disabilities the applicant stands incapacitated by.
- Those affected by cerebral palsy may produce a certificate either from a pediatric, orthopaedic, neurologist, or a psychiatrist.
- Those afflicted by leprosy will be certified so by a dermatologist, and the hearing impaired by an ENT specialist.
- To apply online for disability card online, please follow the link given. Link for contact: online portal
- Please select “Apply for Disability Certificate & UDID Card” option provided on the right side part of the screen.
- A new page to enter / select details will prompt user to fill in the required details.
- User can select language of choice using the “Choose regional language” option and click select your language from the drop down menu.
- There will be four parts to process. First part, personal details, followed by Disability detail, employment detail and Identity detail. Please fill in the required information for each part and hit “next” tab or the required option to go for the next part till the employment details part.
- At the end of the screen user has to click the “terms agree..” option and then hit precede button to preview his application.
- If the displayed details are Ok hit Confirm application button to complete the online application.
- Applicant will get the enrolment / UDID / request number. Please keep it safe for future reference.
- After the processing and verification of the details provided as per the norms. Applicant will get notification about the process. If he is granted with a disability card, then one can visit the online portal and download the e-UDID card.
- In case of multiple disabilities, the application will be forwarded to the District Medical Board for examination and issue of certificate.
- In some states applicant shall approach over the counter services like CSC centres/e-seva etc to apply.
- In some states applicant shall apply using the respective state department online portal.
- Find the contact details and application form from the respective state portal procedures by using the link provided under respective states below.
Please select the state name for respective State Procedure.
Andaman and Nicobar – Andhra Pradesh – Arunachal Pradesh – Assam – Bihar – Chandigarh – Chhattisgarh – Daman and Diu – Goa - Gujarat – Haryana – Himachal Pradesh – Jammu and Kashmir – Jharkhand – Karnataka – Kerala – Lakshadweep – Madhya Pradesh – Maharashtra – Manipur – Meghalaya – Mizoram – Nagaland – New Delhi – Odisha – Puducherry – Punjab – Rajasthan – Sikkim – Tamil Nadu – Telangana – Tripura – Uttar Pradesh – Uttarakhand – West Bengal
- Application form. Link for form: Form link
- Proofs of residence
- Family card
- Electoral identity card
- Bank pass book
- Two passport-size photographs
- Copy of the Disability Certificate.
- Copy of I.D. of the person with disability.
- Copy of all medical and psychological reports available.
- Aadhaar Card
- Two photographs showing the disability
- All original and copy of original with self attestation as advised by respective authorities to be submitted as per requirement.
- Apart from the above documents authorities may ask to submit additional information or documents. Please provide them for processing.
Office Locations & Contacts
Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment,
Room No. 5, B-I Block, AntyodayaBhawan,
CGO Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi - 110003 (India)
Email : vikash.Prasad@nic.in
Link for contact information: link
- Indian Citizen
- Medical report explaining the type of disability
- Persons falling under the categories with a minimum of 40% disability are eligible for entitlement of all benefits provided by the Government.
- The link has details of the eligibility in details: Online Link
No Fees required.
- This card is valid for a period of five years from the date of issue.
- On expiry the card should be surrendered to the issuing authority and an application for issuing a new card should be submitted if required.
- In case the card is lost, new card will be issued with the payment of a penalty.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people eg. links.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people.
Identity cards will be issued between the periods of one week to one month from the date of application with the requisite certification.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Fill the form carefully and submit it along with the mentioned documents.
- Attach the valid documents to get approval.
- Father's Name
- Date of Birth & Age
- Marital Status
- Present Address
- Correspondence Address
- Education Details
- Family Income
- Registration details in Employment Exchange / Special Employment Exchange / Vocation Rehabilitation Centre
- Registration Number
- Date of Registration
- Name and Address
- Identification Marks
- Blood Group
- Nature of Disability
Need for the Document
- The Constitution of India promotes equality, freedom, justice and dignity of all individuals and implicitly mandates an inclusive society for all including persons with disabilities.
- According to the provisions of the Persons with Disabilities Act of 1995, it has identified seven categories of disabilities: blindness, low vision, leprosy cured, hearing impairment, loco-motor disability, mental retardation and mental illness.
- Persons with Disabilities are provided with financial aid from the state government.
Information which might help
- The certificate issued by medical authority will mention whether disability condition is permanent or correctable.
- The State Governments / UT Administrations may constitute the medical boards.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people.