India - Obtain Disability Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Parent of a person with disability, or a person himself, should approach to the District hospital with his request for obtaining Disability Certificate providing the following documents:-
- Copy of I.D. of the person with disability and 2 photographs showing the disability part.
- Copy of all medical and psychological reports available.
- Medical Board distributes the cases to the medical sub-committees specialized for different types of disabilities, according to the medical diagnosis of the person with disability.
- Medical Board issues the Disability Certificate to the person with disability that he should receive from the District Hospital, after its verification by the Head of the Medical Board.
- The State Governments / UT Administrations may constitute the medical boards
- The Director General of Health Services Ministry of Health and Family Welfare will be the final authority, should there arise any Controversy/doubt regarding the interpretation of the definitions/classifications/evaluations tests etc.
- Please use the following link to apply on-line and fill in the necessary information and follow the steps : Online Application Form
A parent of the person with disability, or that person himself, will approach to the District Hospital providing all necessary documents and reports as following:
- Copy of the Disability Certificate.
- Two (2) personal photos.
- Copy of I.D. of the person with disability.
- Copy of the residence.
- Disabled Welfare Department/ District hospital should issue the disability card to the person at the same time, after the sighing authority has signed it.
- Copy of all medical and psychological reports available.
- Aadhaar Card
Office Locations & Contacts
The respective Medical boards constituted at a State or district levels.
In order to become eligible for obtaining the Disability Certificate, a person with disability should fulfill the following conditions:
- To be a Indian citizen.
- To possess medical reports explaining type of his/her disability.
- The minimum degree of disability should be 40% in order to be eligible.
- the application can be made free of charge.
- The IC will contain information like Identity card Number, Disability code, District code State code, etc.
- A pass book will also be issued along with the IC. This pass book is meant to contain the details of various benefits and concessions provided to that person.
Since these guidelines are recent, the states and the UTs are likely to be in the process of creating an infrastructure for issue these identity cards to every disabled person.
The certificate is valid for a period of five years for those whose disability is temporary. For those who acquire permanent disability, the validity can be shown as 'Permanent'.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Apply for Disability Certificate - In English
The disability certificate and/ or Identity card is the basic document that a person with any disability of more than 40 percent requires in order to avail any facilities, benefits or concessions under the available schemes. This is not required for getting admission in a school for formal education.
- Persons authorised to give disability certificate
The respective Medical boards constituted at a State or district levels are the certifying authority to issue disability certificate. The board consists of a chief medical officer/ sub divisional medical officer in the District and another expert in the specified field. These examples are: an ophthalmic surgeon in case of visual handicaps either ENT surgeon or an audiologist in case of speech & hearing handicaps, an orthopaedic surgeon or a specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation in case of locomotor handicaps and a psychiatrist or a clinical psychologist or a teacher in special education in case of mental handicaps. The respective disability certificate for mental retardation or other disabilities (visual, speech and hearing, and locomotor disability is given as Form X and Y in related resourece. The certificate is issued to persons with disabilities mentioned in the PWD Act,1995. At present, disabilities like Autism and learning disabilities are not covered under this Act.
- The certificate is valid for a period five years.
- When there are no chances of variation in the degree of disability, a permanent disability certificate is given.
- In order to get a disability certificate a person requires a birth certificate and proof of residence. If a child is born at home, parents can get the birth certificate from their district magistrate.
- Identity Card
Presently, various ministries/departments of the central government as well as the state and UT level government provide a number of concessions/facilities/benefits to the persons with disabilities. These benefits are provided - on the basis of certain documents. The procedural requirements are different in each case. Therefore, the persons with disabilities have to do complex paper work which causes a lot of inconvenience and hinderance in availing various benefits. The Government of India has therefore issued guidelines (August,2000) to states/UTs for issue of identity card (IC) to the persons with disabilities go as to enable them to easily avail any applicable benefits/concessions.
- Name of the application
- Date of Birth
- Father's & Mother's Name
- Age at the of Application
- Permanent & Correspondence Address
- Education Status
- Identification Marks
- Nature of Disabilities
- Period since when disabled
Need for the Document
The Disability Certificate is not just a document for a person with disability but a proof of his/her disability and an important tool for availing the benefits / facilities / rights that they are entitled to, from the Central as well as State Government under various appropriate enabling legislations.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment had notified procedures for the Medical Boards of District Civil hospitals for issuance, assessments and the format of Disability Certificate. Details of the existing procedures are listed below.
However in view of the difficulties faced by people across the country in availing of Disability Certificates and the procedural problems, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, is currently reviewing the matter and has sought comments and suggestions from the concerned agencies/users.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
The disability certificate and/ or Identity card uses to avail any facilities, benefits or concessions under the available schemes.
More information which might help people.