India - How to obtain International Driver's License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
The RTA or Regional Transport Authority is the government authority that deals with providing International Driving Permit. One can apply their International driving license in their Regional Transport Authority Office.
Please visit the RTA between 10 am and 12.30 pm because if you visit before or after this time the counter that issues coupons will be closed and you will have to return the next day.
1. Once you reach your near by RTA office , please approach the counter and ask for forms required for IDP. He will provide you with three forms-
- IDP application Form
- Fitness Declaration Form
- Health Certificate by medical practitioner.
2. Take the forms and fill the details.While entering your details please enter them as exactly mentioned in your license and passport.
3. Now, attach a photo on the health certificate and take it to a doctor then the doctor will sign across your photo and also make a stamp impression.
4. Now, come back to the RTA office and put these papers together and take it to the officer.Here the officer will also ask for the originals, he will cross check your passport and license and when satisfied, will stamp Verified : Original
5. After that contact the police officer in the office, who will sign on your form and issue you a token number.
6. With that number you need to observe an electronic board that reads which token number is being called and which counter that applicant needs to go to. So, wait for your turn.
7. When your turn comes, the officer at the counter will ask you to get an ORDER by the Regional Transport Officer. Before you meet the RTO, you need to meet the Administrative Officer and get a sign and then meet the RTO. The RTO might want to see the originals. He will sign on your form and then ask you to go back to your counter.
8. At the counter you need to pay a sum of 650 Rs for which you will get a receipt. The counter person will ask details of the country you are visiting and stuff. He will give back your forms.
9. You might have to get the sign of the AO again.
10. After this, you need to get your photo taken, give your digital signature and bio metric print of your left index finger.
11. Now submit your forms. The officer will take everything along with your receipt. The officer will ask for one passport photo. He will either immediately issue your IDP or ask you to return at 4 pm.
12. Collect your Booklet and Card.
- Applications can also be made on-line through the following link : Online Application
- Fill the application form in the above given site ,upload required proofs, take printout of the application form including Acknowledgement form and go to nearest RTO office before 11:30 a.m.
- If your address has changed then you have to get NOC certificate from your old RTO office and then apply online for license renewal, print forms and go to new RTO office.
Following documents are to be produced at the time of applying for an International Driving Permit:
1. 3 recent passport sized photos. (These forms need to photocopied and brought to the RTA, but it is COMPULSORY to bring the ORIGINALS for verification)
2. A valid permanent drivers license with validity beyond 1 year. If your license is going to expire in less than a year, you will have to get in renewed and then apply for the IDP.
3. A valid passport which expires only a year later.
4. A valid visa to the country you are going to visit.
5. Air Tickets (Optional) but if you have it is advisable to present it.
6. IDP Fee of Rs. 650/- (to be payable at Cash Counter).
7. Form IDP(International Driving Permit).
8. Fitness Declaration Form.
9. Health certificate by a medical practitioner.
10. Aadhaar Card
Office Locations & Contacts
Please list down the office locations that can be approched for applying. External links can also be used specifying office locations.
- Person should hold a valid Driving License
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Please explain the validity of the document or certificate obtained by following this procedure.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide other instructions related to the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
An International Driving Permit is a permit given to existing drivers license holders if he/she wishes to travel abroad and drive there. It is only issued by Government of that country of which the applicant is a citizen.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help
More information which might help people.