India - How to file First Information Report(FIR)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
The first information report (FIR) means an information or complaint recorded by a police officer at the police station in their registry.
- In order to report the crime, please visit the nearest police station or the police station appropriate for the area of crime. Police station is operational as per jurisdiction.
- Please write a complaint in a plain paper or take help from the police station authority. Submit the complaint.
- The submitted complaint will be recorded in the first information report registry.
- Now the complaint filed is registered officially.
- Applicant shall obtain the copy of FIR and use it as per requirement.
- Id Proof
- Address proof
- Aadhaar card
Office Locations & Contacts
Indian Police Service
35 Sardar Patel Marg,
New Delhi, India,
Pin Code – 110021.
Email ID : email@example.com
Contact link: link
Any individual can make a complaint
There is no fees or charges for this procedure
The FIR filled once will be valid forever.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
It is immediate
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- The First Information Report (FIR) is the first document that records details about the alleged offense.
- It is written by the police office-in-charge of the police station in the jurisdiction where the purported offense occurred.
- The information to be recorded can be provided by anyone who knows about the alleged offense.
- The FIR is the first step in the investigation of a case.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
- FIR number or the report shall be used for different procedure to grant the desired action.
- FIR report will be an essential document to apply for duplicate driving licence, mark sheet etc.
Information which might help
- If the officer in charge refuses to record the information, the information can be sent in writing and by post to the Superintendent of Police (SP).
- The SP if satisfied that such information discloses the commission of a cognizable offence, shall either investigate the case himself or direct an investigation to be made by any police officer subordinate to him.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.