Wikiprocedure > India

India - How to change a Name (Deed Poll)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  1. The first step in the name change process is to obtain a stamp paper
  2. The affidavit should state: your fathers name,your place of residence,your present name and your new name
  3. The second step is to contact the offices of any leading newspaper in your locality and advertise the change of your name indicating clearly your present name, your fathers or husbands name, your address and your new name
  4. Get your new name printed in the Official Gazette. Details in the form below.
  5. Send an application to The Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi-54 requesting him to publish the above advertisement for change of your name. List of documents to be enclosed mentioned in Documents section below.
  6. In case of a minor the name change form has to be filled up by the parents
  7. Once the name is published, a copy of the gazette has to be attached when applying for other government documents (passport, pan card, etc)

Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

  • Attested affidavit
  • Your document that was prepared showing yours and two witnesses signatures
  • Two passport size photographs
  • The original advertisement that was published in the newspaper.
  • The printing charges for publication of change of name Rs. 700/- for a name change and Rupees 900 for public notice. The amount will have to be submitted or remitted in advance in cash or by Demand Draft/India Postal Order drawn in favor of Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi-54.
  • The cost of advertising of change of name in the Gazette of India for Indian living abroad is Rs. - 2300/- which includes air mail charges also.
  • The extra copies of the Gazette are supplied (to the extent of 2 ) on additional payment of Rs. - 35/- per copy.
  • Documents and payment in cash can also be made in person
  • The documents being sent should not be more than one year old
  • The documents being sent should not be more than one year old. Please note that once sent, no documents are returned. So make sure you keep appropriate copies and/or originals of any documents you wish to keep.'
  • Aadhaar Card

If the individual adopts the name of other religion and not change his/her religion, he/she must produce an affidavit duly signed by the SDM that he/she not changed his/her religion. The cost of such type of advertisement will be Rs. 900/-

Such type of matter for change of Religion must also be shown in the newspaper as well as in the document that you prepare with the signature of two witnesses.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]


Indian Missions Abroad

Ads by Google


There could be many reasons why a person wishes to change their name. Name change is usually required after marriage when the surname needs to be adjusted on documents such as passports. Another trend that is becoming.


  • Stamp Paper - Rs5 or Rs10
  • Printing Fee - Rs 700/-
  • Extra Copies (Maximum two) - Rs 35 each


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links

Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

It may take up to 6 months and may involve a few trips to local offices to get all your documents in order and attested. There are also fees associated with every step in the process.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".

Ads by Google


NRIs applicants seeking to change first name or surname or both, are required to place advertisements to that effect in a prominent newspaper of usual place of residence in the country they live in and also in a prominent daily newspaper of area of permanent address in India. Original clippings of these advertisements (newspaper page) along with a sworn affidavit in the prescribed format are required to be furnished with the application. This will be required when a new passport is normally applied for in a changed name.

Required Information[edit]

  • Your name as listed on birth certificate or immigration or citizenship documents.
  • The full name you are applying to change to (if you are changing your name).
  • Date and place of birth
  • Marital status and details
  • Places of residence for last three months
  • Address for Correspondence

Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

If you are using, or wish to use, a name other than your registered name, there is no legal requirement that you formally change your name. It is, however, recommended that you change your name officially, both for identification and as evidence of your name change.

Name change generally refers to the legal act by a person of adopting a name different from their name at birth, marriage or adoption. The procedures and ease of a name change vary between jurisdictions.

If you are 18 years of age (for minors, see below) and want to change name in India, the first thing you need to do is advertise change of your name in a local leading daily newspaper.

Name changes may be necessitated by various organizations, states or countries because they may not follow the format that you are currently using. It may also be an individual's preference for any possible reason. It is legal to change your name.

Information which might help[edit]

  • Request the name change by filing an application with the First Class Magistrate's office which has jurisdiction in your area of residence. They will also attest your affidavit. You could also get your affidavit attested by a notary or oath commissioner. If you are an Indian living abroad, then the affidavit needs to be attested by the respective Indian Embassy or Indian High Commission.
  • On a blank sheet of paper, type out the details as specified in the reference document 2, furnishing details including your old name, the new name you wish to adopt, your father's or husband's name and address, and your employer's name. Sign this Proforma in the presence of two witnesses and have them sign the document as well.
  • Advertise in one of the daily local newspapers, mentioning your father's or husband's name and address, and your intention to change your name. Be sure to acquire an original of this advertisement as it appears in the paper.
  • You may either take in person or send by registered post the following--the original advertisement, original Proforma, attested affidavit, and two attested passport photographs. Pay the fee for having your change of name published in the Gazette of India Part IV. The amount (in the range of Rs. 700 as of 2009) will need to be submitted in advance, in cash or by Demand Draft/Indian Postal Order drawn in favor of Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi-54. All of the above mentioned documents will have to be sent to the same address.
  • Obtain copies of the official gazette where your change of name has been published and use it as proof of your name change wherever necessary. Two extra copies can be obtained for an extra fee of around Rs. 35 per copy. For Indians living abroad, the cost of advertising change of name in the Gazette of India is Rs. - 2300/- including international postage.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

You may want to change your name because:

  • You have just gotten married
  • You have divorced
  • You just want a change
  • In case of adoption

External Links[edit]


Prime Ministers Office

Government of India Web Directory

The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India


Ministry of Law and Justice

Ads by Google


How you should go about changing your name will depend upon which category you fit into. Changing your name after marriage or divorce is quite a simple process, while changing your name 'just because' requires a little more effort, but it is still quite straight forward and a lot easier than it used to be.

To change your name, submit a petition to your local Superior Court that details the reasons you'd like to change your name. After the court approves your request, you'll then need to update your Social Security card, driver's license and passport.