India - How to Register a Trust
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Applicant has to choose an appropriate name for their Trust.
- Select or determine the Settler/ Author and Trustees of the intended Trust. Even though there are no rules for number of individual required one Settler or Author, Minimum two Trustees are necessary and there is no limit on the Maximum number.
- Prepare a Memorandum of Association and Rules & Regulations of the Trust. This is known as Trust deed and is extremely essential as the legal evidence of your Trust’s existence.
- Prepare By laws of the Trust.
- It is advisable to hire professionals who are experienced in preparing Trust deeds. Without a proper trust deed you might face issues in future like proving your trust’s legibility.
- Make sure that all the required documents are in order.
- Go to your area registrar of trusts. Make sure all the members mentioned in the deed are physically present before the registrar for filing.
- Submit the Trust Deed, documents along with properly attested photocopies to the local registrar and follow as per authorities guidelines.
- Registrar will check the submitted details. If all are in order and ok, register will retain the photocopy and return the original registration copy of the trust deed.
- In some cases, registrar might verify the registered office address.
- After the notified period applicant gets registration certificate as per applicable delivery norms.
- In some states applicant shall approach over the counter services like CSC centres/e-sevaetc to apply.
- In some states applicant shall apply using the respective state department online portal.
- Trust deed on stamp paper as per applicable value
- PAN Card of all the members (minimum 7 members) of the proposed society has to be submitted along with the application.
- Self attested copy of the proof of identity of the settler (Aadhaar card, passport, voter ID, driving license or any such photo ID)
- Self attested copy of the proof of identity of each trustee (Aadhaar card, passport, voter ID, driving license or any such photo ID)
- Proof of the registered office address of the Trust (electricity/water bill or registration certificate)
- No Objection letter signed by the landowner
- One address proof.
- Two Passport Size photos of the members.
- Aadhaar card
- Payment of stamp duty as per requirement
- All original and copy of original with self attestation as advised by respective authorities to be submitted as per requirement.
- Apart from the above documents authorities may ask to submit additional information or documents. Please provide them for processing.
Office Locations & Contacts
National Trust, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment,
16B, Bada Bazar Road, Old Rajinder Nagar,
New Delhi – 110060.
Contacts : 
- Minimum age to become a Trustee is 18 years in case of female and 19 years in case of male.
- A Trustee must be aIndian resident.
- Foreigners, OCI card holders and NRIs residing abroad for more than six months cannot become member of a Trust.
- Please pay as authorities quote
- The registration of a trust is valid forever until the government has any changes to incorporate.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since January 1908.
- Name of the trust
- Principal place of business
- Permanent address
Need for the Document
- A group of individuals or family members intended to charitable service and then they need to register as trust in order to avail the financial, tax benefits.
- Trusts are legal bodies approved by government for social welfare activity. They can receive donations.
Information which might help
- There is no restriction in using names that are already registered as a Trust in the Registrar office.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.