India - How to Obtain an Importer Exporter Code(IEC)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
IEC Code is unique 10 digit code issued by DGFT – Director General of Foreign Trade , Ministry of Commerce, Government of India to Indian Companies.
- Applicant shall apply for grant of IEC number to the nearest Regional Authority of Directorate General Foreign Trade.
- Please obtain the application form or download using the following link : Application Form
- Please submit the completed application form along with required documents to the authority.
- Authorities will check the submitted details. If the details are in place, authorities will accept the application along with the fees. Authorities will issue an acknowledgement for the application made. Keep it safe for future reference.
- A 10 digit unique IEC number will get generated and the same would reach applicants email id.
- This application will be processed further.
- Applicant receives notification about the application status and a hard copy will arrive in 12-14 days.
- PAN card (Individual’s or Firm’s or Company’s)
- Individual’s voter id or Aadhar card or passport copy
- Individual’s or company’s or firm’s cancel cheque copy of current bank account
- Copy of Rent Agreement or Electricity Bill Copy of the premise
- Aadhaar Card
- A self-addressed envelope of 40 x 15 cm with postal stamp affixed on the envelope
- 3 Photographs
- RBI approval letter for NRIs
- Residential Address Proof of applicant
- Self Addressed Envelope with advised Stamp
Office Locations & Contacts
Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT)
UdyogBhawan, H-wing, Gate No-02,
Maulana Azad Road, New Delhi -110011.
Toll Free No: 1800-111-550
Contact link : link
- Registered firm, proprietor, STPI/ EHTP/ BTP units with PAN card
- One PAN card is eligible for one code only
- Fees Rs 250/-
- Mode of payment can be demand Draft of any Bank or Payment through EFT ( Electronic Fund Transfer by Nominated Bank by DGFT Like HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, State Bank of India, UTI Bank, Punjab National Bank, Central Bank etc) or Application fee can deposited by TR6 Challan with Duplicate Copy in any branch of Central Bank of India and TR6 Challan need to be submit along with IEC Code Application.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Any individual, firm or company requires a Importer-Exporter Code (IEC) to indulge in any import/export activities of a commercial nature.
- IEC is also required for remittance of money to a foreign country for any import. Your banker will not remit money to a foreign entity without an IEC code. Each legal entity (for ex. partnership) can have only one IEC.
- Anybody can apply for a IEC code and there is no need to go to a Chartered Account/Company Secretary/Lawyer for it. Applications can be made online at the DGFT site.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
- IEC code is needed for importing or exporting from India.
- IEC code is required for money transaction between the importer or exporter from abroad to the potential Indian firm.
Information which might help
There isn’t any need to provide proof of any export or import for getting IEC code.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- The address on IEC should always match the importer's address on the invoice and the shipping address of the shipment.
More information which might help people.