India - How to Obtain a Permanent Account Number(PAN) Card
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Apply via NSDL website - India Obtain a Permanent Account Number (PAN) Card Online with Images
- Please use the following link which would take you to the below displayed screen. Please visit the following link : Online Portal. User shall select “Apply online” session.
- Click on 'Application Type' and select the form applicable to you…
- form 49A for resident individuals
- form 49AA for non-resident individuals (NRIs) and foreign nationals.
- Complete the other page prompts as applicable and hit “Submit” tab.
- A new screen will be provided. Go through the details provided. Hit “Continue with PAN application form”.
- In the next screen, please complete the sessions (Guidelines, Personal Details, Contact & Other details, AO Code and Document details) as per page prompt with required details and information. Please hit the appropriate tab at the end of the page for each session as applicable to submit the application.
- Upon submission, A token number will be displayed on the screen. The same would have been forwarded to your email ID and mobile number registered while applying. Please save it for further process.
- In the home page, select the “Registered user“ tab and complete the page prompt as appropriate and hit “Submit”.
- User will be prompted to upload required document, make payment using the applicable payment gateway(Credit / Debit / Net Banking) option and authentication of Aadhaar card through mobile phone OTP verification. Please complete the above sessions with applicable details as required and hit respective tab.
- On completion an acknowledgement will be generated. Take the printout of the receipt with the 15 digit unique acknowledgement number. This 15 digit unique acknowledgement number is the proof for your transaction and for any future transaction in relation to obtaining the card.
- On successful verification of the submitted documents and details the department will dispatch the card to the applicant as per deliverable period.
- As a first step, please download PAN card application form.
- Link to download form : Form49A : link and Form 49AA: link
- Application form can be obtained directly from various agents of UTIISL. Link for contact details : link
- Mail(post) the completed application form, proof of identity, Date of Birth along with applicants correct address to :
- Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
- 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341,
- Survey No. 997/8,Model Colony,
- Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016.
- Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
- This application will be received by respective department to process. On successful verification and internal processing, the department will dispatch the Card to the applicant as per deliverable period.
Foreign citizen (Individual):
- Foreign citizens (Individual) who wish to apply for a PAN, can do so by providing relevant ID and address proofs. This can be either their passport / PIO card / citizenship ID number etc.
- Foreign companies can apply for a PAN by furnishing a copy of their Registration Certificate from the country where an applicant is present.
- This should be attested by the Indian Embassy/Consulate/High Commission in that country. A copy of the registration certificate approved by Indian authorities in India will also suffice as proof for PAN.
- Find the contact details and application form from the respective state portal procedures by using the link provided under respective states below.
Please select the state name for respective State Procedure.
Andaman and Nicobar – Andhra Pradesh – Arunachal Pradesh – Assam – Bihar – Chandigarh – Chhattisgarh – Daman and Diu – Goa - Gujarat – Haryana – Himachal Pradesh – Jammu and Kashmir – Jharkhand – Karnataka – Kerala – Lakshadweep – Madhya Pradesh – Maharashtra – Manipur – Meghalaya – Mizoram – Nagaland – New Delhi – Odisha – Puducherry – Punjab – Rajasthan – Sikkim – Tamil Nadu – Telangana – Tripura – Uttar Pradesh – Uttarakhand – West Bengal
I. In case of Individual who is a citizen of India :
- Form 49A :Link for form 49A
- Form 49AA: Link for Form 49AA
- Documents as proof of (a) Identity, (b) Address and (c) Date of birth (any one from the list respectively)
- (a) Voter ID / Ration Card /DL /Pensioner card /Passport etc,.
- (b) Gas bill / Water bill/ Bank Statement etc,.
- (b) Pension payment order/DL/Matriculation Certificate etc,.
- 2 colour Photographs ( Size - 3.5 cm x 2.5 cm)
- Completely filled application form
- Aadhaar Card
- Note : In case of a person being a minor, any of the above documents of any of the parents or guardian of such minor shall be deemed to be the proof of identity
II. In case of Companies :
- Copy of Certificate of Registration issued by the Registrar of Companies.
III. In case of Firm (including Limited Liability 49A(a) Partnership) formed or registered in India:
- Copy of Certificate of Registration issued by the Registrar of Firms/Limited Liability Partnerships; or copy of Partnership Deed.
Office Locations & Contacts
Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016.
Call PAN/TDS Call Centre at 020 - 27218080
Fax: 020-27218081, E-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact link : link
You can check your application status by typing NSDL PAN followed by your 15-digit unique acknowledgement number and sending it to 57575.
- PAN should be owned by every taxpayer in the country and anyone who wishes to do business in India.
- A taxpayer or assesse can apply for a PAN on behalf of others, including minors.
- Companies, Trusts and Partnership firms
- Foreign citizen (Individual)
- Foreign Companies
- Note : Mentally challenged person is eligible to get PAN
- If your address is within India, then the PAN Card processing fee is .
- Rs.110, (i.e., Rs.93 (application fee) + 18% GST.)
- If your address is outside India, the PAN Card processing fee is
- Rs.1,020, (i.e., Rs.93 (application fee) + Rs.771 (dispatch charges) + 18% GST)
- Once a PAN is issued, it has forever validity. Thus, it is known as 'PERMANENT' number.
- Only on demise of individual or winding-up of organization, the PAN can be surrendered.
- NOTE: It is a PERMANENT number, thus it does not change even in case of change in name due to marriage reasons etc. or takeover of organizations etc.
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- It takes around 2 weeks to furnish a PAN.
- The entire PAN application is outsourced to NSDL and UTIL.
- Once PAN is issued, it is dispatched and the time it takes depends on your location whether it is in India or abroad.
- Average courier time to reach abroad locations is around 10-12 working days.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
- Full name and address of the applicant.
- Contact details
- Fathers name
Need for the Document
- PAN Card is mandatory to file return of income and also for all correspondence with any income tax authority.
- It is mandatory to quote PAN on Challan for any payments due to Income Tax Department.
- It is also compulsory to quote PAN in all documents pertaining to the following :-
- Filing joint taxes
- Sale or purchase of any immovable property valued at five lakh rupees or more;
- Sale or purchase of a motor vehicle or vehicle
- At time of deposit, exceeding fifty thousand rupees, with a Bank
- A deposit, exceeding fifty thousand rupees, in any account with Post Office Savings Bank
- A contract of a value exceeding one lakh rupees for sale or purchase of securities
- Opening a bank account
- Payment in cash in connection with travel to any foreign country of an amount exceeding twenty-five thousand rupees at any one time.
- Making an application for issue of credit card or debit card
- Payment of an amount aggregating fifty thousand rupees or more in a year as life insurance premium to an insurer
Information which might help
- It is not affected by change of address or change of Assessing Officer etc. However, any change in the PAN database (i.e. details provided at the time of obtaining PAN) should be intimated to the Income Tax Department by furnishing the details in the form for “Request For New PAN Card Or/ And Changes or Correction in PAN Data”.
- Common mistake to avoid while applying..
- Sign with black ink. Incorrect signature, Initial should be mentioned properly, Spelling mistake in names etc,.
- NOTE : Don’t apply for PAN, if you already have one.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people.