India - Apply for Tax Deduction Account Number (TAN Card)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
TAN or Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number is a 10 digit alpha numeric number required to be obtained by all persons who are responsible for deducting or collecting tax.
- Applicant shall approach any TIN-Facilitation Centre (TIN-FC) of NSDL.
- Please use the following link :link to locate centre please follow the page requirement as applicable to get the contact information.
- Go to the centre and consult with the executive for any updated requirements.
- Obtain the applicable application form Or download using the following link: link
- Please submit the completed application form along with required documents.
- This application will be processed and an 14 digit acknowledgement number will be provided to the applicant.
- Please keep it safe for future reference.
- Applicants may track the status of their TAN application using 14 digit unique Acknowledgment Number after three days of application using the status track facility. Alternatively, applicant may call TIN Call Centre on 020 – 2721 8080 to enquire about the status of application. The status of the TAN application can also be tracked by sending an SMS - NSDLTAN to 57575.
- Please go to the online portal to apply for TAN. Online link
- In the given page select Category of Deductors from the drop down menu for “Apply for New TAN” session and click on "Select” button
- User will get a new screen. Please complete the page prompts with required details and click “Submit” button at the bottom.
- The summary of application will be displayed. In case the displayed information is correct, applicant shall choose the “Confirm” button.
- Please follow the resulting screen prompt for appropriate details. Make payment (in case the mode of payment is other than DD or Cheque) to get an acknowledgment slip will be generated
- Applicant shall save and print the acknowledgment and send it to NSDL along with requisite documents at
- NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
- 5th floor, Mantri Sterling,
- Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
- Model Colony,Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
- Pune – 411016.
- NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
The envelope should be superscribed as 'APPLICATION FOR TAN - Acknowledgment Number' (e.g. 'APPLICATION TAN - 88301020000244').
- Applicant has to provide the following details
- Applicants name
- Applicants/premises Address
- email id
- Mobile number
- Aadhaar card
- Passport size photograph
Office Locations & Contacts
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th floor, Mantri Sterling,
Plot No. 341,
Survey No. 997/8,
Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Contatc link: link
Individual or a firm and its branch.
The processing fee is 65 INR (including Goods and Service Tax).
This document is valid throughout your life.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people eg. links.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people .
The processing time is 15 to 30 days.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
- Identity proof such as PAN card, voter's card, ration card
- Address proof such as electricity bill, Aadhar card
- Photocopies of the deductor
Need for the Document
- TAN is to be obtained by all persons who are responsible for deducting tax at source (TDS) or who are required to collect tax at source (TCS).
- Tax Account Number (TAN) is a 10 digit alpha numeric number required to be obtained by all persons from Income Tax Department who is responsible for deducting or collecting tax.
Information which might help
It is compulsory to cite TAN on all TDS (Tax Deduction at Source) returns.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
TAN number is used as a second layer of security to protect from fraudulent transactions.
Form49 B Application form
Instructions to Fill form 49B
More information which might help people.