Wikiprocedure > Hungary

Hungary - Register Marriage Abroad

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  1. Before you go to the embassy make sure to book an appointment first:
    1. Online: You can ask for an appointment directly through Ministry of Foreign Affair's Date Reservation System - Link
    2. Email or Phone: Contact information for Missions abroad can be found below.
  2. Both parties should appear in person when you lodge your application
  3. Submit all required documents, see list below.

Note: There is possibility to apply by post, get in touch with the Hungarian Foreign Office in your country to check.

Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

The original marriage certificate (this is required in ALL cases): If your marriage was concluded in a country other than the UK, please contact MFA or the foreign office in your conutry to see whether you need to obtain a so called Apostille certificate from the authorities of the country in question.

There is no need for translation at the following documents:

  • marriage certificates issued in English language by the UK, USA, New Zeeland, Australia, Canada or South Africa;
  • marriage certificates issued in French language by Canada;
  • marriage certificates issued in German language by Austria or Germany;
  • birth certificates issued by other countries in two or more languages if one of them is English or German.

If the marriage certificate is issued in different language or by different country a legalised translation should be presented. The translation could be prepared by the National Translation and Authentication Office (OFFI) Link, 1062 Budapest, Bajza utca 52, Tel: (36-1) 428-9600, Fax: (36-1) 428-9610 , it does not need to be further legalised OR the translation should be legalised by the responsible Hungarian Consulate.

Copy of the birth certificate of the Hungarian party

Completed application form: Fill in the application form in Hungarian, with block capital letters and according to the conventions of the Hungarian language (name: surname followed by given name; date: year. month day.). When signing the form, please make sure you sign according to the Hungarian usage, ie. surname first, given name second.

Documents proving your status prior to the marriage as a divorced or widowed person:

  • Divorced: the court decision relating to the divorce, showing it to be a decree absolute (with translation into Hungarian). If the decree absolute is dated after 1 May 2004, please submit the certificate referred to in Article 33 concerning judgments in matrimonial matters. This certificate does not need to be translated into Hungarian.
  • Widow(er): death certificate of deceased spouse (Continued overleaf). These documents are required by the Hungarian registration office in respect of the marriage party who is a confirmed Hungarian national or whose Hungarian nationality can be presumed. (The latter are those persons who left the territory of Hungary as Hungarian nationals and have not renounced their citizenship, but do not at present hold Hungarian papers.) These documents are not required in respect of those who are not Hungarian nationals and have never held Hungarian nationality.

Proof of Hungarian nationality: Valid passport, personal identity card or certificate of nationality issued no more than one year ago. In the absence of these: a completed nationality questionnaire.

Proof of nationality in respect of the non-Hungarian party (copy of passport)

Certification of the family status before the marriage of the non-Hungarian party: The non-Hungarian party has to ensure an official document on his family status before the marriage. This document should be translated and legalised by the competent Hungarian Embassy which is the Embassy residing in the country of the non-Hungarian party or the Hungarian Embassy accredited to the country concerned. The citizens of an EU Member State are not required to lodge this document.

Request for registration in the Hungarian Registry of Personal Data and Address

The Hungarian party has to fill the paragraph 5 of the application form in the following cases:

  • if the Hungarian party does not have valid Hungarian ID card AND
  • he/she does not have Hungarian address card which involves Klfldn l? magyar llampolgr AND:
    • he/she has never lived in Hungary or
    • he/she was born in Hungary but left Hungary minimum 13 years ago.

A self-addressed return envelope.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Head office: 1027 Budapest, Bem rakpart 47.
Postal address: 1027 Budapest, Bem rakpart 47.
Phone: +36-1-458-1000
Fax: +36-1-212-5918
Missions Abroad

Ads by Google


Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links

Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Registration takes on average three months.

Note: The process can be longer than 3 months.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Ads by Google


Marriages concluded abroad can be registered in Hungary by application through the Embassys Consular Section.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.

Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

Here is a procedure on how to register a marriage concluded abroad.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Ads by Google


More information which might help people.