Wikiprocedure > Hungary

Hungary - Register Birth Abroad

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  1. Before you go to the embassy make sure to book an appointment first:
    1. Online: You can ask for an appointment directly through Ministry of Foreign Affair's Date Reservation System - Link
    2. Email or Phone: Contact information for Missions abroad can be found below.
  2. Both parents should appear in person when you lodge your application. If the difference between the date of birth and the end of the former marriage of the mother is less than 300 days, the former husband will be registered as father. In this case the mother has right to apply to the court to change the name of the father after the first registration.
  3. Submit all required documents, see list below.

Note: If the parents are married there is possibility to apply by post. Get in touch with the Hungarian Foreign Office in your country to check.


Required Documents[edit]

The original birth certificate (i.e. full birth certificate, showing data for parents as well. This is required in ALL cases.)

There is no need for translation at the following documents:

  • birth certificates issued in English language by the UK, USA, New Zeeland, Australia, Canada or South Africa;
  • birth certificates issued in French language by Canada;
  • birth certificates issued in German language by Austria or Germany;
  • birth certificates issued by other countries in two or more languages if one of them is English or German.

If the birth certificate is issued in different language or by different country a legalised translation should be presented. The translation could be prepared by the National Translation and Authentication Office (OFFI) Link, 1062 Budapest, Bajza utca 52, Tel: (36-1) 428-9600, Fax: (36-1) 428-9610 , it does not need to be further legalised OR the translation should be legalised by the responsible Hungarian Consulate.

Parents marriage certificate (photocopy) OR Statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage

If the parents marriage has not yet been registered in Hungary, it has to be undertaken together with the registration of the childs birth.

In case the parents have not concluded a marriage or did so only after the birth of the child, a statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage has to be made in person at the Consular Section.

Application form - Completed and signed by both parents: Fill in the application form in Hungarian, with block capital letters and according to the conventions of the Hungarian language (name: surname followed by given name; date: year. month day., etc.). When signing the form, make sure that the parent who is a Hungarian national signs according to the Hungarian usage, ie. surname first, given name second.

Proof of parents nationality (copy of valid passports or identity cards) Note that from the non-EEA or Swiss nationals valid passport is required.

Request for registration in the Hungarian Registry of Personal Data and Address:

  • If the Hungarian parent has already officially informed the Hungarian authorities that he/she lives abroad or the Hungarian parent never lived in Hungary the child should be registered as a Hungarian citizen living abroad. This registration should be requested in the birth application form in the paragraph 8.
    For the application the copy of the Hungarian address card which involves Klfldn l? magyar llampolgr should be lodged as well. If you apply by post and you do not have address card you should send a short letter on the lack of it.
  • If the Hungarian parent has address card which involves a Hungarian address the child should be registered as a Hungarian citizen living in Hungary. In this case you should fill in the form Krelem Magyarorszgon l? magyar llampolgrknt trtn? nyilvntartsba vtelhez.
    The form could be downloaded from the website Form for registration as a Hungarian citizen living in Hungary

For the application the copy of the Hungarian address card or a copy of the title deed or copy of the tenancy agreement should be lodged as well. If you apply by post and you do not have the above mentioned documents (address card, copy of the title deed or tenancy agreement) you should send a short letter on the lack of them.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Head office: 1027 Budapest, Bem rakpart 47.
Postal address: 1027 Budapest, Bem rakpart 47.
Phone: +36-1-458-1000
Fax: +36-1-212-5918
Missions Abroad



Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Registration takes on average 2-4 months (without the passport procedure).

Note: The process can be longer than 2-4 months.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



The registration of a childs birth outside Hungary can be registered with the Hungarian authorities by application through the Embassys Consular Section. Application for a passport can also be submitted at the same time.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.


Need for the Document[edit]

Here is a procedure on how to register a birth outside Hungary.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade



More information which might help people.