Wikiprocedure > Hungary

Hungary - Obtain Residence Permit for the Purpose of Employment or Other Gainful Activities

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  • In order to obtain a residence permit, the applicant is required to appear in person, unless he/she is unable to appear due to his/her health condition.
  • The applicant must submit a completed form along with all other required documents and pay the processing fee.
  • Applicants over the age of 6, will have their photo taken and their fingerprints collected before the issuance of the permit.
  • Residence permit applications, with exceptions specified in the law, shall be submitted at the consular officer or at other locations authorized to receive residence permit applications which operates in the country of the applicants permanent residence or nationality. The third country national can apply for the issuance of a residence permit visa, without applying for this particularly, in a permanent residence application prior to his/her entry to Hungary.
  • The proceeding authority makes a decision on the application for residence permit for continuing employment in the framework of a single application procedure, if the residence of the third country national submitting a residence permit application is aimed at establishing employment relationship with a specific employer.
  • In case the regional directorate grants the issuance of the residence permit to the applicant, a residence permit visa may also be issued simultaneously, of course everything will depend on the regional director's decision.
  • Applications to extend the validity of a residence permit shall be submitted in person at the responsible regional directorate of the Office of Immigration and Nationality at latest 30 days prior to the expiration of the right of residence. While submitting the application a valid travel document shall be presented. The passport should remain valid for a further 3 months after the expiry date of the residence permit.
  • The applicant may ask the aliens policing authority to send him/her the residence permit through mail or he/she can collect the document personally at the regional directorate.
  • In case the request was denied by authorities, the applicant can lodge an objection, which can be submitted at the authority that made the first instance decision within 8 days after the communication of the decision. The administrative service fee for appeal is HUF 5,500, which shall be paid with revenue stamp by the applicant.


Required Documents[edit]

Proof of employment:

  • temporary work booklet
  • business plan for business activity
  • individual business card / or individual business registration number
  • agricultural permit for primary producers
  • agency contract, business contract or user contract signed by a private individual
  • a deed of founding of a business association, cooperative, or other legal entities created to generate profit, and the document proving its registration in the trade registry

Documents to be submitted to support applicant's financial condition necessary to able to stay in Hungary

A third country citizen is deemed to have the funds available during the citizen's stay in Hungary exceeding 90 days within 180 days, or has lawfully earned an income available to him/her or his/her family member and is enough to cover the costs relating to their subsistence, dwelling, exit, and, if necessary, the costs of health services. Applicant may submit:

  • a certificate issued by a financial institution regarding a bank account managed in Hungary or abroad
  • an income certificate issued by the tax authority with respect to the previous year
  • a certificate of income issued by the applicant's employer
  • a certificate issued by the employer and/or the tax authority with respect to regular income from abroad
  • other documents that can substantiate the applicant's source of income

Documents that can be submitted to prove the existence of accommodation in Hungary:

Only property registered as a residential house/apartment or other habitable dwelling, providing that the habitable space is at least 6 square meters per habitant, or a commercial or other accommodation that is deemed appropriate by law, may be accepted as a Hungarian residence.

Applicant may submit:

  • the rental agreement certifying a lessee/lessor relationship
  • a document certifying the use of the flat by courtesy
  • a document evidencing the availability of a reserved and paid place of accommodation
  • certification proving the placement in a dormitory
  • a document evidencing the ownership of the flat, with a less than 30-day old copy of the title deed
  • a contract of sale and purchase of a real estate and a copy of the decision of the competent metropolitan or county government office granting permission for the acquisition of a real estate;
  • other documents that can substantiate the applicant's accommodation in Hungary

Documents that can support the existence of an all inclusive health insurance available to the applicant:

When applying for a residence permit, it has to be certified with a document that the applicant qualifies as insured with respect to the entire range of health services (is entitled to use the health services in particular on the basis of a special law, an international agreement, or a separate agreement on social insurance), or that he/she is able to bear the costs of the provided health services from the funds available to him/her.

Provision to leave Hungary

The existence of the provisions to leave the country can be proven with:

  • a valid passport or necessary permits issued by a foreign authority providing evidence that third country national may return to his/her country of origin, or to the country he/she indicates
  • a valid ticket or the necessary funds to purchase one, or if the third country national is in possession of a vehicle, proof of ownership

During the application procedure, the third country national is required to submit a statement to the effect that if his/her application is rejected, he/she agrees to leave the territory of the European Union Member States voluntarily.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Please list down the office locations that can be approached for applying.  
External links can also be used for specifying office locations.



Residence permits for continuing employment are issued to those who want to:

  • manage a business as its owner, or hold a managing position or part of the supervisory body of a business association, cooperative or other legal entities created to generate profits.
  • perform actual work for another person, or under the direction of another person for a compensation based on legally defined employment relationship
  • perform work individually, according to legal regulations, for a compensation

Foreigners need to have a work permit to be able to work in Hungary.

For third country nationals the process of giving permission to work is regulated by the decree of 16/2010 (V. 13.) of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labour.

Note: Third country citizens, are non-Hungarian citizens and stateless persons (not recognize as a citizen in any state) except for persons having the right of free movement and stay (EEA citizens and family members accompanying, or joining, an EEA citizen or a Hungarian citizen).


The administrative service fee for the procedure is 60 EUR, which shall be paid at the foreign representations of Hungary primarily in EUR or other convertible currency, or in exceptional cases in the legal currency of the state where the application is to be submitted. In case of application submitted in Hungary, the administrative service fee is HUF 18,000.

The administrative service fee of the application for extension of a residence permit is HUF 10,000, which shall be paid with revenue stamp by the applicant.

In case an applicant would like to make an appeal regarding his/her denied application, an administrative service fee in the amount of HUF 5,500 is charged, which shall be paid with revenue stamp by the applicant.


Single permit: a residence permit, which authorizes a third-country national to establish employment relationship with a specific employer and stay in the territory of Hungary.

Single application procedure: a procedure, which authorizes the third-country national to stay in the territory of Hungary more than 90 days within 180 days and establish an employment relationship with a specific employer on the basis of the application submitted by the third country national.

A residence permit for employment issued are valid for a period of three years, and may be extended for a maximum period of three years, but extension may not be always possible.

In case the residence permit issued is a single permit, the validity of the residence permit is a maximum of two years, which can be extended for a maximum of two years, but extension may not be always possible.

The validity period of the residence permit for continuing employment respects the validity period of the work permit, which the application is based on.

When determining the validity of the residence permit, the validity of the passport is taken into consideration by the authority. The duration of residence stated in the residence permit is determined in the manner that the validity of the passport has to exceed that of the duration of residence with at least 3 months.

Documents to Use[edit]

  • Application Form to Obtain a Residence Permit for the Purpose of Employment or other Gainful Activities:
Word Format
PDF Format

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. 	
Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url '' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.



Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents.
e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.


Need for the Document[edit]

Please provide the need for the procedure.
e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate? 

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.


External Links[edit]

Place some external links which might help.



More information which might help people.