Wikiprocedure > Hungary

Hungary - Obtain Permanent Residence Card

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  • The applicant must submit a completed form along with all other required documents and pay the processing fee.
  • To apply for the procedure, the applicant is required to appear in person, unless he/she is unable to appear due to his/her health condition.
  • EEA citizens and family members can submit their application for a permanent residence card at the regional directorate being competent for the applicants place of residence. The valid travel document or personal identification card must be presented upon the submission of the application, together with the documents or other papers specified in this decree proving uninterrupted and lawful stay.

Note: The first day of stay in the territory of Hungary without interruption is, unless otherwise proven, the day on which the EEA citizens stay exceeding 90 days within 180 days is reported or on which the application for a residence card for a third country citizen family member is submitted.


Required Documents[edit]

Proof of Familial relationship:

  • certificate of birth
  • certificate of marriage
  • deed of adoption
  • other acceptable documents

Birth or marriage certificates shall also mean any equivalent document issued by a foreign authority. A certificate of marriage submitted by a third country citizen family member of a Hungarian citizen can only be accepted after registration in Hungary.

Public documents issued abroad, or a private document certified by a foreign court, administrative body, notary public, or any person authorized to issue authentic documents shall only have conclusive force under the Hungarian laws, unless otherwise provided by a statutory provision, international agreement, or the practice of reciprocity with respect to the matter, if it has been supplied with diplomatic authentication by a diplomatic or consular mission of Hungary operating in the country of the place of issue. Documents issued in a language other than Hungarian can only be accepted, if a translation is attached to the application, and it is translated by a certified translator.

Documents to be submitted to support applicant's financial condition necessary to able to stay in Hungary

  • a document proving an income from a paid activity (e.g. contract for work, certificate of income issued by the employer, a certificate issued by a tax authority, minutes of a members meeting to evidence income earned as a managing director);
  • a statement of account balance or an account turnover extract issued to his/her own name or to that of the family member.

Documents that can support the existence of an all inclusive health insurance available to the applicant

When applying for a residence permit, it has to be certified with a document that the applicant qualifies as insured with respect to the entire range of health services (is entitled to use the health services in particular on the basis of a special law, an international agreement, or a separate agreement on social insurance), or that he/she is able to bear the costs of the provided health services from the funds available to him/her.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Immigration and Nationality Office

Central Office
Physical Address: 1117 Budapest, Budafoki Strasse 60 Map
Postal Address: 1903 Budapest, Pf. 314
Phone: 0036-1-463-9100
Fax: 0036-1-463-9108
E-mail: [email protected]

Search for Regional Offices



Individuals who may acquire permanent resident status:

  • an EEA citizen, and has been living legally and without interruption in the territory of Hungary
  • a third country national and their family member who has been living legally and without interruption in the territory of Hungary for five years
  • in consideration of the EEA citizen or the Hungarian citizen has the right to stay and who has been living legally and without interruption in the territory of Hungary for five years
  • a child born in Hungary to a parent who holds a right of permanent residence
  • a family member of a Hungarian citizen, with exception of the spouse, and has been living in a conjugal community with a Hungarian citizen without interruption for at least a year
  • the spouse of a Hungarian citizen, married for at least two years before the submission of the application and their conjugal community has existed since then.

A EEA citizen staying in the territory of Hungary for continuing employment is eligible for permanent residence before the expiry of the residence permit, if:

  • The EEA citizen has been staying in the territory of Hungary without interruption for at least three years and at the time his/her gainful employment ended he/she reached the age of pension entitlement, or he/she dissolved his/her gainful employment in order to get early retirement pension provided he/she carried out gainful employment in the territory of Hungary for at least 12 month before his/her retirement
  • He/she stayed in the territory of Hungary for continuing employment without interruption for at least two years and he/she had to give up his/her gainful employment, to undergo medical treatment caused by an accident or health damage
  • His/her incapacity is the consequence of a work accident or illness caused by his/her occupation and which entitled him/her receive support determined under a special law
  • He/she carried out his/her gainful employment in the territory of Hungary without interruption for at least three years, and now he/she carries out gainful employment in the territory of an other Member State of the European Union, but he/she intends to keep his/her place of residence in the territory of Hungary.

Note: Family members of eligible EEA citizens mentioned above may also stay in the country.


Permanent residence card: HUF 1,500 (in the form of duty stamp)


A permanent residence card issued to a third-country citizen / family member is renewable every ten years.

Permanent residence cards issued to EEA citizens are valid for an indefinite period of time together with the valid travel document or identity card.

Documents to Use[edit]

  • Permanent Residence Card:
Word Format
PDF Form
  • Application for the replacement of document certifying entitlement to residence:
Word Format
PDF Form
  • Application for the supplementation of document certifying entitlement to residence:
Word Format
PDF Form


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

It usually takes about 3 months before a regional directorate can issue a decision regarding the application to obtain a permanent residence card.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents.
e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.


Need for the Document[edit]

Following are procedures on how you can obtain a permanent residence card in Hungary.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • Hungary's Immigration and Nationality Office:



More information which might help people.