Hungary - Apply for Naturalization
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Check first if you are eligible to apply for the procedure.
- Submit the completed application along with all other required documents.
- The Office of Immigration and Nationality shall forward you application for naturalization to the Minister of Interior within three months, provided all necessary supporting documents were submitted by the applicant. Processing time may be longer for incomplete applications.
- Once your application is approved. The president of the republic shall issue a certificate of naturalisation attesting the acquisition of Hungarian citizenship. Subsequently, the applicant must take a citizenship oath or pledge of allegiance, for which the invitation shall be sent by the mayor of the district of his/her residence. The naturalised person shall acquire the Hungarian citizenship on the date of taking the oath or pledge of allegiance. The mayor shall notify the applicant of the place and date of the citizenship oath or pledge of allegiance within 30 days upon receipt of the document.
- If the oath or pledge of allegiance is not taken place within a year, the naturalization document shall cease to valid.
- You may submit a new application for naturalization, in case your first application was rejected.
- Hungarian citizenship may be withdrawn from a person who acquired his/her Hungarian citizenship by breaching the law, in particular, by communicating false data, or concealing data or facts, and thereby misleading the authorities.
- The naturalization procedure and the change of name procedure are free of duty.
- Completed application form
- Two passport sized photographs
- Original birth certificate and original documents proving family status
- Proof of accommodation and subsistence in Hungary
Note: The application procedure shall be expedited if the applicant attaches the decision regarding the immigration permit or permanent residence permit, or the decision of the asylum authority, as well as the photocopy of the permanent residence permit.
Office Locations & Contacts
Immigration and Nationality Office
- The applicant must have continuously lived in Hungary for a specified period of time and holds permanent residence (residence card) as an immigrant, a permanent resident, a person recognised as a refugee or a person entitled to freedom of movement and stay.
- The applicant has no criminal record and is not under prosecution.
- The applicant's accommodation and subsistence are assured in Hungary.
- The applicant's applying for the procedure does not violate the public and national security of Hungary.
- The applicant must pass an examination in basic constitutional studies in Hungarian language.
Renunciation of foreign citizenship is not a prerequisite for the acquisition of Hungarian citizenship; however, in some countries the acquisition of citizenship of another state may result in the loss of the original citizenship. Please consult first an official from your home country's embassy, before going through with the naturalization process.
Individuals who are not eligible for preferential naturalization may apply for naturalization after having been residing in Hungary for eight consecutive years.
Persons who meet the following requirements may apply for preferential naturalization after having been residing in Hungary for three consecutive years:
- he/she has been living in a valid marriage with a Hungarian citizen for at least three years, or his/her marriage has been terminated with the spouse's death
- his/her minor child is a Hungarian citizen
- he/she was adopted by a Hungarian citizen (and he/she reached legal age in the meantime)
- he/she was recognized as a refugee by a Hungarian authority.
- he/she is stateless
Persons who meet the following requirements may apply for preferential naturalisation after having been residing in Hungary for five consecutive years:
- he/she was born in the territory of Hungary,
- he/she established residence in Hungary before reaching the legal age,
In the case of a minor child, the requirement for periods of time mentioned earlier may be reduced, if his/her application for naturalization is submitted together with that of his/her parent or if his/her parent has already acquired Hungarian citizenship.
The application for naturalization of a minor child adopted by a Hungarian citizen may be submitted by the adoptive parent regardless of the child's place of residence.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Application to become a naturalized citizen of Hungary:
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
It may take about three months for your application to be processed, provided you submitted all necessary supporting documents. Processing time may be longer for incomplete applications.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Submit your application for naturalization in person to the following offices:
- District (capital district) office of the capital and county government office
- Integrated customer service of the capital and county government offices
- Hungarian consular offices
- Regional directorates of the Office of Immigration and Nationality
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Citizenship represents the link between a person and a state or an association of states. Possession of citizenship is normally associated with the right to work and live in a country and to participate in political life. Naturalization is a way to acquire a nationality different from the nationality of origin.
Foreign citizens who have never been Hungarian citizens may acquire Hungarian citizenship by naturalization.
Following are procedures on how you can apply for naturalization in Hungary.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Hungary's Immigration and Nationality Office:
More information which might help people.