Guatemala - Register a Birth
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Normal Birth Registration
Registration takes place within 60 working days following the child's birth.
It is important to know also, that according to the Law of Renap 90-2005, registration of a the child should be done with the presence of both parents (Article 73). If in such case only one can carry out the registration, then the respective recognition may be made by the other parent who has not assisted in the registration. This will be recorded using both names. For single mothers, the child being registered will be under the mother's name.
The application for registration of birth of minor parents, must be made by both parents, the absence of one of them or in the case of a single mother, the entry shall be effected by it. In case of orphans or abandoned childs, registration may be done by the minor's ascendants (older siblings) or by the Attorney General's Office.
Still Born Child
Normally this type of registration is made immediately after the birth of the child, indicating in the registration that the child was stillborn.
Consular Birth Registration
- Notify the Guatemalan Consulate in the country where the birth occured.
- The consulate will forward your file to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Guatemala.
- The Bureau of Consular Affairs will notify the registry office to finalize the child's registration.
Normal Birth Certificate
- Personal Identification Document-DPI-in original and photocopy
- Ticket ornament in original and photocopy of either parent
- Medical Report of Birth (original and photocopy) or Midwife's report previously *registered in the Civil Registry
- In case of unregistered Midwife, submit report signature legalization of this and of the parents or the mother only if
- Marriage Certificate
- Birth certificate of the father must be presented in original and photocopy
- The father of the child must appear (grandfather Patern) with DPI in original and photocopy
- The Father of the minor must present ornamental ticket in original and photocopy
- Medical Report of Birth in original or photocopy
- Birth Certificate of the mother in original and photocopy
- Medical Report of Birth in original and photocopy or Midwife's report previously registered in the Civil Registry
Consular Birth Registration via Attorney
- Letter of Request
- Legal Form of the application
- Sworn Translation
- Present documents at Renap Notarial Offices
- Documents must be filed in legal sized folder
Note: Documents must be notarized.
Office Locations & Contacts
RENAP (Registro Nacional de las Personas)
Republica de Guatemala
Calzada Roosevelt 13-46 Zone 7
Phone: 2416 - 1900
Call Centre: 1516
Email Contact Form:
Search for Office Locations:
Who may complete the process of registering the child's birth:
- For married parents, either can complete the process by producing a copy of the marriage certificate. If not, both parents must be present in registering the child.
- Minor Parents
- Single mother - the mother must be 14 years old or older
- Parents of a child born abroad (one or both parents are Guatemalan)
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Registration of birth is a legal act to be formalized before the National Registry- RENAP -within sixty (60) days after the child's birth and may be registered in the place where the birth occurred or the place where the parents or persons exercising parental authority have established their residence.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
A Birth Certificate states the name and sex of a person, it also indicate the time and place of birth, it is issued after you have registered the birth of a child and may be obtained from the civil registry office.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Registration of Birth
More information which might help people.