Guatemala - Convert or Exchange Foreign Driver License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- To exchange your foreign license for a local one, go to the Traffic Department located at Calzada Aguilar Batres 34-70 zona 11 Segundo Nivel, Centro Comercial Galeras del Sur.
- Obtain an application form and provide all needed information.
- Requirements needed for the procedure is on a case to case basis. The decision of what tests (theory or practical) you should take will depend on where you got your license and documents presented.
Requirements needed for the procedure is on a case to case basis. It will be best if you will get in touch with the Traffic Department first and ask about what documents you will need to present or submit.
Office Locations & Contacts
Phone: + (502) 2421 - 0800
Monday to Friday: 8:00 to 18:00 hrs.
Saturday: 08:00 to 13:00 hrs.
Monday to Friday: 8:00 to 17:00 hrs.
Saturday: 08:00 to 13:00 hrs.
Transit Department of the National Police in Guatemala City
Calzada Ral Aguilar Batres 35-47 area 12
(opposite the galleries shopping centre of South)
Phone (502) 2320-4598 / 4545
- Class A License (Professional): Applicants must be at least 23 years old, and must have held a Class C or B license for at least 3 years. This type license will allow you to drive all kinds of vehicles.
- Class B License: Applicants must be at least 21 years old. Class B licenses are for driving light weight vehicles.
Driver's license related fees:
- Validity Period:
- 1 year: Q 100.00
- 2 years: Q 185.00
- 3 years: Q 260.00
- 4 years: Q 320.00
- 5 years: Q 390.00
- Replacement and/or transfer: Q 100.00
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
A driving license is an official document which states that a person may operate a motorized vehicle, such as a motorcycle, car, truck or a bus, on a public roadway. This document also serves as identification and proof of age.
Here is a procedure on how you can convert or exchange your foreign driver's license for a local driver's license.
Information which might help
Since 1999, Maycom have been producing, managing, and controls the production of licenses from driving vehicles to the Republic of Guatemala. And in 2004, it became the first private company that delivers a government service, to the Republic of Guatemala and the Ministry of the Interior.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.