Germany - Replace your Drivers License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- To apply for a replacement license you may contact either your local Strassenverkehrsamt (Department of Motor Vehicles) or the Stadtverwaltung (municipality office) where your license was issued. They may be able to provide you proof that you had a valid German driver's license. #After obtaining proof, you may then need to go to the Rathaus (City Hall) to get a replacement.
- Do not forget to bring your ID card/passport with you and passport-sized photos.
- For lost or stolen license, you will need to file a police report. You will need the report when you apply for a replacement
- If you are outside Germany, you may contact the nearest German embassy in the country you are in for assistance.
- Completed application form
- Passport sized photos
- Police report (if applicable)
Office Locations & Contacts
Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure
Unit L 23
Civil Service and Visitor Services
Citizens Telephone: +49 30 18300 - 3060
(Mon-Fri 9:00 - 12.00 clock)
Inquiries by e-mail to
or via the contact form
Phone: +49 461 316-0
Fax: +49 461 316-1650/1495
E-Mail: [email protected]
Phone: +49 351 47385-0
Fax: +49 351 4738536
E-Mail: [email protected]
Postfach 12 01 53
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
Please provide other instructions related to the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.