Germany - Apply Child Passport
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
The best procedure is to make sure all the necessary documents are as stated and then fill the application form. Return the application form and produce necessary documents. Remember to pay all the fees applicable.
- Application form (completed in capital letters on behalf of the child)
- Current passport or Kinderausweis (original & photocopy)
- Childs birth certificate
- Naturalization certificate of child and/or parents, if applicable
- Valid passports/ identity cards of both parents (original and photocopies)
- Marriage certificate/extract of family book if applicable
- Most recent German local authority de-registration form
- Two recent, identical, passport photos with a bright background. The eyes should be open. (From 6 years onwards, biometric photos are required.
Office Locations & Contacts
Tel.:+49 (0)30 25 98 0
Fax: +49 (0)30 25 98 2205
e-mail: [email protected]
Bundesministerium des Innern
Tel.:+49 30 18681-1022/-1023 /-1089
Fax: +49 30 18681-1083
E-mail: [email protected]
German children of up to 12 years of age.
Documents to Use
Childs Passport Application Form [pdf, 224.27k]
The forms needed for registration can be directly obtained from the Brgeramt or online at: Form service of the administrative office for citizens
Approx. 6-8 weeks
PaspoMaat Passport Safety Service * German*
How to obtain a passport for a minor child
- The baby is of German nationality
- The baby is present at the application
- The parent or parents who have legal custody of the child is/are present (if parents have joint legal custody (Sorgerecht) then both parents should be present.
- The child is registered in an apartment
- The application is made in your registered area
- Childs full names
- Parents names
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Colour of eyes
Need for the Document
A child passport is a passport issued to children up to twelve years of age in Germany. It does not include biometric features and lacks the insignia of the European Union at the top of the front cover.
Information which might help
Fees - The fees should be paid by cash or credit card only at the Passport Section at the time of application.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
German passport photo requirements
If one parent cannot be present, the application can still proceed with just one parent attending, provided the signature of the absent parent has been original passport or a certified on the 2nd page of the passport application and the certified passport copy is enclosed. Important: Certifications must be done either by a German Honorary Consul, a German Mission Abroad or a notary public (with seal).