Eritrea - Register for an Adoption
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Applicants should start by finding out the requirements for adopting a child in Eritrea. These can be obtained from the Ministry of Labour and Human Welfare; an applicant may visit the ministry or an applicant may decide to contract an agency to assist in the adoption process.
- After finding out the requirements and you fill you meet them, submit application to the Ministry of Labour and Human Welfare;
- Contact an authorized agency / social worker to conduct a home study. The home study is conducted to find out the status of the adoptive parents and any other information that may be required;
- After the study, the agency / authorized social worker prepares a home study report and a recommendation of the suitability of the adoptive parents and submits it to the Ministry of Labour and Human Welfare;
- If recommendation is positive, the applicant(s) then proceed with identifying a child. A child can be from an orphanage or from anywhere in the country. Identification is done with the assistance of an agency or the Ministry of Labour and Human Welfare;
- When a child is identified, he / she is matched with the adoptive parents;
- If the child and adoptive parent(s) suits each other, the adoptive parent(s) should apply for a statement of transferring authority from the biological parents or relatives or from the Ministry of Labour and Human Welfare (if a child has no surviving relative) to the adoptive parent(s);
- When the statement is issued, an applicant must proceed with submitting application for legal adoption to the Ministry of Labour and Human Welfare or high court;
- A date for the hearing is scheduled. At the hearing, decision is made basing on submitted statements, reports and recommendations and decision made is always in the best interest of the child.
- After legal adoption, a follow up is always made. The authorized agency / social worker makes visits and write post adoption reports at three (3) months, six (6) months and one (1) year every year after adoption, up to when the child is eighteen years.
1.Applicant(s) copies of identification documents;
2.Proof of age (Birth certificate);
3.Statement giving reason for interest in adopting an Eritrean child;
4.Study home report by a social worker / agency;
5.Recommendation from agency / social worker;
6.Marriage certificate (in cases of couples);
7.Medical clearance certificates
8.Police clearance certificates
9.Proof of financial capacity (Bank statements or evidence of assets or pa slips)
10.Proof of consent of biological parents of a child and consent of a child sixteen (16) years and above
11.Proof of residency
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Labor and Human Welfare
P. O Box 5252 Asmara
Telephone: 182 886 / 181 846
Fax: 182 760
An applicant must be between twenty five (25) years and fifty (50) years of age and must be at least twenty one (21) years older than the child he / she wishes to adopt.
Adoption fees paid to the attorney vary depending on the attorney used.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
About six (6) months
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
1. Applicants must meet eligibility age requirements before applying;
2. Adoptive parents who are not citizens in Eritrea must stay in the country for at least six (6) months prior to submission of application for adoption;
3. Must contact an authorized agency to carry out home study;
4. Beware of frauds. There are no legally authorized adoption agencies and attorneys in the country;
5. Before contacting an investigation / research before selecting an agency to help in the adoption process;
6. If an applicant stays abroad endeavor to use an authorized agency in home country;
7. Reports and recommendations must be translated in Tignigna;
8. Adoptive parents must also have a lawyer to help in the adoption proceedings;
9. Adoptive parents abroad may authorize a lawyer to represent then if they cannot travel by issuing a power of attorney;
10. Issued power of attorney must be approved / certified by an authorized person at a nearby Eritrean embassy.
1. Full name of applicant(s) / adoptive parent (s)
2. Sex, Age and marital status of applicant(s)
3. Personal and family status of the adoptive parents
4. Details of the child to be adopted
5. Character and personal qualities of applicant(s) / adoptive parent(s)
6. Period and stability of marriage (for married adoptive parents)
7. Financial capacity of applicant(s) / adoptive parent (s)
8. Medical situation of applicant(s) / adoptive parent (s)
9. Present address of the applicant(s) / adoptive parent (s)
10. Condition of applicant(s) / adoptive parent (s)
11. Details of parents of the applicant(s) / adoptive parent (s)
12. Education background
13. Employment details of the applicant(s) / adoptive parent (s) (employer, position held, salary e.t.c)
Need for the Document
Adoption is that legal act where an elder person takes on the rights of parenting child. It involves transferring all rights and responsibilities from the biological parent(s) / Guardian(s) to the person adopting, permanently. In Eritrea, Many of the kids available for adoption are in orphanages and most of them have no parents / surviving relatives; the right of parenthood for these children is held by the Ministry of Labour and Human Welfare.
Therefore issues of adoption are handles and finalized by either the Ministry of Labour and Human Welfare or / and reviewed by the civil court.
Information which might help
1.If adoption is legalized, adoptive parent(s) living abroad can travel with their child to their home country;
2.An birth certificates in the new names of the child and passport can be processed;
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- Adoption gives hope to an abandoned child;
- Adoption is a beginning of a life together as a family;
- It permanent changes in status of both the child and adoptive parents(s);
More information which might help people.